jpt

Adler 69 feed dog

I have now had my first sewing machine (Pfaff 193) for a couple of years. To be honest, I have used it very little during that time. So the only logical move to make was to buy two new machines :D. I bought an Adler 69 last Friday and then a Pfaff 545 on Sunday. I haven't played much with the Pfaff yet, but did a little bit of sewing with Adler. As written by others on this forum, it struggles climbing over seams. The feed dog on my machine is completely smooth. Would a toothed feed dog (such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KH-69-R-Throat-Plate-Feed-Dog-for-Durkopp-Adler-69-Sewing-Machine/292474269634?hash=item4418d32fc2:g:UhoAAOSwGW9an2e7) make a noticeable difference?  

pfaff193.jpg

adler69.jpg

pfaff545.jpg

pfaff69_feed_dog.jpg

Edited by jpt

3 hours ago, jpt said:

As written by others on this forum, it struggles climbing over seams

Who says that?

It usually is a question of how the machine is set up and if the OP has read the manual. Have you read the manual? Its mentioned in the manual how to adjust the foot hight. And its the same process as on the Pfaff 545.

@jpt I haven't played with a W/F Adler before, but I presume it has the common 111-style foot height adjustment slot on the back of the head. Check that yours is set to maximum before buying parts! Also probably best to check that you have the feet timed as close as possible to optimum for the usual thickness you put through your machine.

The Adler 69, AIUI, has a 2-motion feed-dog (just goes back and forth, rather than the more usual back-down-forwards-up of a 4-motion feed-dog) so you do have one hand tied behind your back a little. However you might be able to tweak the height of your feed-dog to better suit what you're sewing.

I have watched a very experienced operator working a Pfaff 335 (very similar to your machine) who nudged the foot lift pedal a tiny bit when climbing up, which helped. Not what you might call a technique for absolute beginners but perhaps something to bear in mind.

I did read the manual before I got the machine. The manual indeed says how to change the foot height, however, it does not say why to change the foot height. Being a newbie when it comes to sewing machines I did kind of bypassed that piece of information. I just changed the foot height to the max and tried the same seam I had problems with earlier. Now the machine had no problems to climb over it, so problem solved!

Earlier on I also tried playing with foot lift pedal, but that didn't go so well; it resulted in loose threads. I'll leave the technique to experienced operators :). 

Glad you found the information you need. I hope I did not sound offensive but as a (quite) long time member here I figured more and more people don´t do the obvious first - like contacting a seller / dealer or even more obvious reading the manual.

21 minutes ago, jpt said:

however, it does not say why to change the foot height

Now you figured why ;)

Have fun with your machines!

16 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Glad you found the information you need. I hope I did not sound offensive but as a (quite) long time member here I figured more and more people don´t do the obvious first - like contacting a seller / dealer or even more obvious reading the manual.

Quite often when I have bought old machines the previous owners have been quite unaware how to correctly use the machines. These kind of forums have usually been the best sources for information.

Now that I don't have to learn everything by trial and error, why can't I leave the foot height to the max all the time?

13 minutes ago, jpt said:

...why can't I leave the foot height to the max all the time?

You can, and to my knowledge there would be no detriment to your machine. However you might want to reduce it if you don't need all of that lift in order to reduce noise and amount of metal moving about. Imagine you were exclusively sewing, say, watch straps on this machine. Not only would you not need hardly any lift you might not want the feet flying up and down on top of a piece of expensive fine leather.

15 minutes ago, jpt said:

Now that I don't have to learn everything by trial and error, why can't I leave the foot height to the max all the time?

You can! I have it like that all the time. Never had any issues.

16 minutes ago, jpt said:

These kind of forums have usually been the best sources for information.

Especially THIS forum really is!