The Sig P238 is manufactured in nearly 100 variations (so I'm told).  But - not including the HD - basically two slide widths.

Question is, how do you identify WHICH slide width the person wanting the holster actually has?  Not like you can help anything by saying "skinnier than the one you don't have" (they don't have it, so cant compare it).  So... absent a caliper or micrometer... serial number?

35 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

The Sig P238 is manufactured in nearly 100 variations (so I'm told).  But - not including the HD - basically two slide widths.

Question is, how do you identify WHICH slide width the person wanting the holster actually has?  Not like you can help anything by saying "skinnier than the one you don't have" (they don't have it, so cant compare it).  So... absent a caliper or micrometer... serial number?

Most of the sig variations are in grips finish sights etc, the biggest difference in the frame or slide, for holster fit, I would think is if it is made with an accessory rail or not. Hope that helps I will keep looking through some of my books for barrels lengths and such. I see one built in 2010 that had a tactical laser mounted in front of the finger guard, most barrels are 2.7 or 3" so no biggie there. 

Edited by chuck123wapati
moe info

Yeah, I always thought that the only variation in the models was in the finish and the grips, I mean, a P238 is a P238 as far as I know.

They don't come in different calibers or anything. I cannot imagine where or why they would differ.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p238/

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth
added link to sig

yea all im seeing is varations in grips, finish, sights, and what the slides or frames are made out of, all seem to measure 1.1" width, I don't even find any with acc, rails just the one model with the laser sights. yup found some more info two slide widths 11/16  or 13/16 seems they first used the thicker slides on the hd but now use it on other variations as well, seems to be a lot of trouble for the kydex holster crew also. I see some holster makers are asking basically which slide thick or thin, don't know how you could walk them through it any other way without measuring tools. 

Edited by chuck123wapati
more info

13 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

all seem to measure 1.1" width,

Pretty sure that's talking about overall width.. including the grips

11 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

found some more info two slide widths 11/16  or 13/16

Yeah, see now yer gittin what I'm talkin about.  So WHEN did the change happen, and how would you have a customer identify that .. one who doesn't use a caliper or mic ...

32 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Pretty sure that's talking about overall width.. including the grips

Yeah, see now yer gittin what I'm talkin about.  So WHEN did the change happen, and how would you have a customer identify that .. one who doesn't use a caliper or mic ...

lol yea it wasn't a uniform change in width from what i'm reading so getting a serial number or year isn't going to do it. From what I have found the change was made in the hd models first then in the other models later as they were having problems with the narrower versions. Also from what I have read online sig isn't very good at answering that question. As far as customers, I haven't got a clue except to tell them there are two different widths, they may have to learn how to read a ruler its an 1/8" inch difference so they shouldn't need a caliper or mic for that. I guess they could use a fabric tape and measure circumference also. I'll look for more info. 

Just went duh to myself while driving to the store, remove the slide lay it on top of a ruler easy peasy. Give them the measurements in mm as well as inches.

My understanding is the models that were upgraded with the larger spring assembly and thus the wider slide were serialized with the prefix "27A", and the subsequent design upgrades were prefixed with "27B". The Bluegun Store refers to the 11/16" version as a Pre 27A model which seems to support my assumption that the serial number is the best way to determine which model a customer has. I can't answer your question with absolute certainty, but so far this method hasn't steered us wrong.