Whit30

Please help with splitting a side of leather

Hello

I am looking at a discounted (second) leather side. Because these are seconds, any weight is possible to buy for the same price. I am looking at a 2-5 oz to be used for wallet interiors and things. Since it carries from 2-5oz, my thought is to pay the 15.00 and have it all a uniform 2 oz. My question is: does this sound like a good idea and what could the left over split bottom side be used for?

Another thought is I can get a thicker side possibly 6-7 oz and have the same 2 oz split to use for the interiors and will have a thicker bottom split. If I did this, what could use the thicker bottom split for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am in a new territory with splitting and all. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Whit30 said:

I am in a new territory with splitting

There are many posts on this site about doing your own splitting, so you might want to take a look at them. Splitting a side of leather, apparently, is no easy task. I have an eight-inch bench splitter, and find it difficult to get it to split evenly, plus I can't split anything wider that six-inches. To split a side of leather you will probably need a band splitter, and even then you might find it a challenge to get good results using  "seconds" due to various imperfections in the hide.

It might turn out to be cheaper and easier for you to buy thinner leather than to split heavier leather. 

Just my thoughts...

Thank you for the reply. I won't be splitting myself, I would be paying the supplier to do it. I trying to figure out the usefulness of the bottom half that is split off. Thank you.

18 hours ago, Whit30 said:

What could the left over split bottom side be used for?

In my world there is not much use for the bottom layer, but you should keep it around in case you need to pad anything. My advice would be to go with the heavier side, as splitting 2 oz. from a 2-5 oz. hide will give you a bottom that will be too thin to do much with.