Craftt

edge beveling inside corners

i am looking for help with using the edge beveler on inside corners such as on a knife sheath that is folded over with the belt above the sheath. Places where there is a 90* degree inside corner where the beveler does not go all the way into the corner.

thanks

craftt

First thing is to never make a 90 degree inside corner, . . . always make a rounded corner.

1.  It takes away the problem you mentioned.

2.  It is easier to make than a 90 degree inside corner.

3.  No matter how you cut it, . . . a 90 degree inside corner will almost always have one of the two cuts go into the side of the other one, . . . and that is where the pulling and tugging of using the (whatever it is) will start to separate it and it will begin to look ugly.  Rounded corners take this problem all away.

May God bless,

Dwight

I make sheaths by the 'fold over' method and the 'front & back' method, and yes, bevelling the top inside of the sheath opening can be tricky

The technique is to do all the inside bevelling before the pieces are assembled, when they are still flat pieces. After you've done a couple you learn where those internal edges & corners will be. Or you could make a mock - up from card to help plan the work

The cheap edge beveller with the flat cutting edge, costing about $12,  is easier to use on internal corners than more expensive bevellers with the recessed cutting edge. You will, of course, get a flat 45 degree cut, so you will need to do some sanding if you want a neater, rounded edge, but as internal bevels are not usually very long, this won't be much of a problem - even less if you use a recessed beveller before making up the flat pieces

See this video on YouTube - ' The Difference between Craftool Edge Beveller and Keen Edge' by Leatherworkbench

there are lots of videos on making a sheath. Watch as many as you have the stamina for, and you'll see how others tackle the problem

If you're careful you could bevel just the inaccessible places freehand with a scalpel or a small  Exacto type craft knife

To add to the above, both of which I agree with.  If you can punch the "corner" the punch usually bevels it.  I used to try and edge the top and bottom of belt slots.  I just leave the edge beveled by the punch now and bevels he sides that I have to cut.  

If at all possible edging before assembly and burnishing it helps a lot.  

Anything 90 degrees on leather is a bad idea IMO.  Inside corners are a pain, outside corners will wear poorly.  

Great thanks to both. I did watch a lot of videos last night and I got the idea it was best to put a curve in it.thanks again and God Bless right back

On 11/26/2019 at 6:46 AM, Dwight said:

First thing is to never make a 90 degree inside corner, . . . always make a rounded corner.

1.  It takes away the problem you mentioned.

2.  It is easier to make than a 90 degree inside corner.

3.  No matter how you cut it, . . . a 90 degree inside corner will almost always have one of the two cuts go into the side of the other one, . . . and that is where the pulling and tugging of using the (whatever it is) will start to separate it and it will begin to look ugly.  Rounded corners take this problem all away.

May God bless,

Dwight

Additionally, a 90 deg inside corner is far more likely to tear than a rounded corner, even if executed perfectly.  

- Bill