kimberlyrose

Best tool to skive or pare soft, stretchy leather

Hello! I'm having a really hard time finding the best tool for skiving soft, stretchy leather. I had my finger on the trigger for a $400 skiver at Tandy, but I don't think it's going to work for soft and stretchy leather. I need to be able to shave down my seams, and I use a LOT of soft stretchy leather. I have 2 skiving knives, but honestly my hands cramp up instantly trying to skive the stretchy leather. I have used leather hardener as well before the skiving. Does anyone know of a machine that will work with soft leather? I'm at my wit's end! Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

silver.jpg

Edited by kimberlyrose
no text

For example, these tools descriptions mostly all say not ideal for soft leather:

and another

Edited by Northmount
Deleted bad link

The one in your second link is for stiffer bridle leather, straps, belts etc... first link sends me off somewhere else :dunno: I think what you would be best with is a bell skiver.

7 hours ago, jimi said:

The one in your second link is for stiffer bridle leather, straps, belts etc... first link sends me off somewhere else :dunno: I think what you would be best with is a bell skiver.

Unfortunately I think Jimi is right. A bell sliver is the way to go. I wish I could afford one. 

There may be a way to hand skive it but it would require an insanely sharp knife and quite a bit of skill haha

I tried it by hand. I'm too old for that!! wrists and fingers seize up, and it's a royal mess. Thanks for the suggestions!

11 minutes ago, kimberlyrose said:

I tried it by hand. I'm too old for that!! wrists and fingers seize up, and it's a royal mess. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you are serious about a bell sliver, leather machine co and Toledo industrial(I think) offer them. LMC  is a cobra machine distributor and Toledo distributes cowboy machines. That's where I would start my research. 

Thank you, but that is out of my budget at the moment! I wish I was able!!

1 hour ago, kimberlyrose said:

Thank you, but that is out of my budget at the moment! I wish I was able!!

I know the feeling haha

There is another option, schmidt scarffix and I believe hitex/cowboy make a skiving divide that is hand operated. It is for thinner leathers and uses razor blades. It's original use was for bookbinding. 

I personally would look into the schmedt as its German made. But the cowboy/hitex 809 is the same thing. They are about $200-$300 depending on what you get .  

I haven't used these machines myself, but they seem like a good alternative to a $2000 bell skiver haha

Ahhh, this machine was actually the one in my first link that for some reason didn't work! I will do more research. From what I've seen / read so far, this might be the only viable option. Thank you!

A Dremel with a fine grit sanding drum works great, just a little messy.  A 1" belt sander with  a 400 grit belt also will work.  More than one way to skin a cat.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Hi Terry, 

I just watched a few youtube videos on this method. I would prefer a more quite route, but in a pinch, I'd do the dremel I think!