Sign in to follow this  
RasberryD

Juki 1341 or 2342?

Hi All

I am a complete newbie in all aspects of industrial machines... so please bare with my ignorance, i'm on a 90 degree learning curve :lol:

I sell gloves for wheelchair users, the glove is more of a wrist wrap with velcro, than a conventional glove with fingers. The point being it is flat when sewn. There are several layers involved: stretch cotton, 2mm soft leather, 2mm padding, 1mm synthetic leather and 3mm natural rubber. When i say this combination has proven a challenge to stitch for several cobblers i'm being polite! I ended up going to a saddler with a cb4500 and obviously that machine doesnt even sweat - it's like sewing thin air.

However, i'ver reached the point where i need to take control of production and stop messing about with out sourcing, which brings me to my Juki issue. I have an offer of an ex showroom juki 1341 for £3500 and i know the juki 2342's are about £4500 plus. 

So, do i go with the older model, as i particularly prefer non-direct drive, as i need to adapt the machine for hand use only (because i use a wheelchair). Or do i spend more, get a newer machine and try program the buttons to use hands only? Is £3500 a good price for the 1341? is there anything else i'm not considering?

I was thinking about the Adler 869... it's a beauty no doubt, but sadly i think out of my price range.

red.gpz4.jpg

Also in terms of needle and thread i'm planning to use something on the border of medium & heavy weight; needle 160/23, thread tex 135 or there abouts  

I would choose the Juki 1341. The 1341 doesn't have any electronic controls that the 2342 has which are probably going to become expense / hard to find down the road. I like basic machines, easier and cheaper to repair / maintain. The bells and whistles are great for production but for the hobbyist or small commercial the KISS rule I think works best.  Also the 2342 maybe a challenge to adapt to your needs.

From your description of the glove and the photo if you go with a cylinder machine you will need a flat top table extension to do the majority of the work. Before you purchase any machine I would take the material needed to make a glove to the Juki dealer and do a test run with the thread you are planning on using. I would also suggest that you consider a flatbed Juki 1541S or 1508 for the main work and a patcher for doing the thumb attachment work. You have selected a really top notch brand that should give years of reliability. It really is going to come down to what will give you the best results that meets your abilities.

kgg

The 2342 is the cylinder arm version of the LU-2810. The 2810 comes in basic or electronic/direct drive versions, while the 2342 is only avail in electronic/direct drive (with or without thread trimmer)

I have the 2810 and wanted an equivalent cylinder arm machine so I went with the Adler 669 Eco (non electronic/direct drive, separate motor, etc.) It rules. Higher lift and longer arm than the 1341 and easier to adapt to binding.