Rossr

Straight razor strop

Something new for me.  Trying to make a straight razor strop.  Lot of data out there about type of leather works best and lots of conflicting thoughts on burnish dont burnish what to finish with etc.  So I'm not sure if Ishould bevel the edges or not. And should i use neats foot oil it something else to finish it. 

Overall I'm happy with the results.  My stitch on the back side got messed up cause I skived too much away. But that is easily fixed .  I thought I could get away with it so i keep going oh well.

2.5 inches wide 25.5 inches long 16 inches useable for stroping

Did some.basic stamping on the handle.   Handle is wicket and craig skirting and the veg tan is also w&c. 8 ounce. 

Thoughts always welcome

20191217_150937.jpg

20191217_151014.jpg

20191217_151022.jpg

20191217_150840.jpg

20191217_150844.jpg

20191217_150856.jpg

20191217_150853.jpg

That looks very nice.  The stamping is well done.

great looking work!!! I find it amazing how in just a couple of generations we lose so much information on everyday life ,our grandparents probably could have told you how to finish that strop off the top of their head as almost every household had one  back in the day.

6 hours ago, Rohn said:

That looks very nice.  The stamping is well done.

Thanks Rohn appreciate the compliment 

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

great looking work!!! I find it amazing how in just a couple of generations we lose so much information on everyday life ,our grandparents probably could have told you how to finish that strop off the top of their head as almost every household had one  back in the day.

Times change for sure and I bet you are correct.   Friend of mine who likes straight razor shaving is getting  this to try out .  I opted to just use neats foot oil on the back. I'm sure he will use and enjoy it and figure out what to do!