ZigZag

Large bobbin machine options

I’m looking to replace my Seiko STW 8 (same as Singer 111) with a large capacity bobbin machine. I would prefer an older used machine and must be compound feed.

i have used the Seiko LSWN before which is a nice machine but don’t see many come up for sale here in the UK

Any suggestions?

thanks

Nick

I'm not sure what you need the new machine to do, but if a big bobbin is your main requirement I'd recommend a Juki LU-563.  It has an extra-large U style bobbin, and is a superbly built Japanese machine.  They feel about 10 lbs. heavier than other industrial machines in the same class.  

Thanks pinto, I will be using the machine in a mix of canvas for boat covers and bag making with combined leather & canvas.

appreciate the thought.

Nick

I never really thought to much about bobbin size for the machines I have owned over the years other then there was never enough bobbin thread. The stuff always ran out when I least expected / wanted too.

So since bobbin capacity is a major requirement of yours and I couldn't find any information related to bobbin thread capacity I did some calculations for the amount of thread that could possibly be on a bobbin for the Juki TSC- 441, Juki LU-563, Juki DNU-1541S and Singer 111W.

What my numbers showed was: 

Machine                 Bobbin              V92 Thread Capacity       V138 Thread Capacity       V207 Thread Capacity       V277 Thread Capacity 

Juki TSC- 441      Style 33                   118.67 yards                       78.67 yards                            52 yards                            39 yards

Juki LU-563           Style U                    75.67 yards                         50 yards                                 33 yards                            24.33 yards

Juki DNU-1541S   Style M                   53.67 yards                         35.67 yards                           23.33 yards                       17.33 yards

Singer 111W          Style G                    34 yards                               22.33 yards                          14.66 yards                        11 yards

I know the numbers may not be totally accurate but it will give some relationship between the styles of bobbins and their thread capacity.

For your needs of canvas and bags I think the either the Juki DNU-1541S or a Juki LU-563 would do the job. I use a Juki DNU-1541S and fine that if I can stuff the multi layers of different materials under the presser foot it will sew it.

kgg

There is yet another bobbin size in current production. It is the Adler XXL bobbin that is used in certain new models of Adler leather stitchers. By my reckoning it is even larger than the Juki U style bobbin. See this PDF for more details.

10 hours ago, kgg said:

I never really thought to much about bobbin size for the machines I have owned over the years other then there was never enough bobbin thread. The stuff always ran out when I least expected / wanted too.

So since bobbin capacity is a major requirement of yours and I couldn't find any information related to bobbin thread capacity I did some calculations for the amount of thread that could possibly be on a bobbin for the Juki TSC- 441, Juki LU-563, Juki DNU-1541S and Singer 111W.

What my numbers showed was: 

Machine                 Bobbin              V92 Thread Capacity       V138 Thread Capacity       V207 Thread Capacity       V277 Thread Capacity 

Juki TSC- 441      Style 33                   118.67 yards                       78.67 yards                            52 yards                            39 yards

Juki LU-563           Style U                    75.67 yards                         50 yards                                 33 yards                            24.33 yards

Juki DNU-1541S   Style M                   53.67 yards                         35.67 yards                           23.33 yards                       17.33 yards

Singer 111W          Style G                    34 yards                               22.33 yards                          14.66 yards                        11 yards

I know the numbers may not be totally accurate but it will give some relationship between the styles of bobbins and their thread capacity.

For your needs of canvas and bags I think the either the Juki DNU-1541S or a Juki LU-563 would do the job. I use a Juki DNU-1541S and fine that if I can stuff the multi layers of different materials under the presser foot it will sew it.

kgg

Thanks kgg, that is super useful and a brilliant piece of calculation. The 563 is looking like a very interesting option.

Thanks Wiz, I’ll have to look into this in more detail. A font of knowledge as always.