Rossr

Finished this sheath today

I wrapped this sheath up today.  Deer skin lined W&C skirting.  Geometric stamp and a border stamp.  Machine stitched on a needle awl machine.  Knife I also made o-1 tool steel, antler and wood handle.  

Pretty happy with this one not overly fancy but just worked out nice imo.

Thoughts as always welcomed 

Ross

20200107_200659.jpg

20200107_200615.jpg

20200107_200635.jpg

2 minutes ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Another nice set Ross.

nick

Thanks Nick. This making stuff gets addicting 

lovely stuff, have just recently got into knife making too so very interested in this kind of build

Not leather related but how do you go about heat treating the o1? Would like to try it but have read mixed things regarding the importance of soaking time during hardening so don't know how appropriate it would be for a noob like me 

Great looking knife and sheath

Alex

1 hour ago, AlexOstacchini said:

lovely stuff, have just recently got into knife making too so very interested in this kind of build

Not leather related but how do you go about heat treating the o1? Would like to try it but have read mixed things regarding the importance of soaking time during hardening so don't know how appropriate it would be for a noob like me 

Great looking knife and sheath

Alex

I'm far from a metal expert.  But for me I heat the o-1 to non magnetic and then quench in oil.  After that I temper  for an hour at 425 degrees.  Then cool then a second hour at 425 again.  I've played with different times and temper temps.(including just 1 cycle)  I have also read many things regarding o-1 and soak times . Im confident with a proper heat treat oven  you can get a more refined product.  However I've been happy with my testing of the knives and I've used knives I've made for years with good results. My advice if you can get it and it's not real expensive try it. Test it see how it works for ya.  Other options include 1084, 1095, among many others.  I guess I got comfy with o-1 and keep using it, it holds an edge well and I can heat treat with my forge at home. 

Try stuff enjoy the journey 

Thanks for the compliments

Ross

Nice basket weave stamping,not an easy one.

Like the white stitching with the dark brown leather. 

So cool to make your own knife for the sheath,looks fantastic

2 hours ago, noobleather said:

Nice basket weave stamping,not an easy one.

Like the white stitching with the dark brown leather. 

So cool to make your own knife for the sheath,looks fantastic

Thanks