Sign in to follow this  
laether

Schmetz needle (160) wont go through the walking foot hole?!

hi folks...

Strangest thing, but I bought some Schmetz 160 LR needles to sew some very thick leather on my Pfaff 145 but I just noticed that the needle wont go through the walking foot's hole....I really do wonder what's up with that (manual lists this needle size)? This is the only foot I have currently for this machine...Thanks in advance!

Pfaff_145_needle_problem.JPG

Use smaller needles! Your particular machine may be limited to a #22 or smaller needle and similarly smaller thread. Otherwise, use abrasive Emory string to enlarge the hole.

Well, looks like your machine is not set up to run with 160 needles. You probably have to buy a foot and feed dog with holes wide enough to accommodate the 160 needle + thread (or open up the holes with a Dremel or similar) and you probably have to move the hook saddle a bit to the right the way the thread can slip thought the gap between needle plate and bobbin case (maybe gap is wide enough already but I of course do not know)

EDIT:

Wiz was a tad faster. ;) Some machines of this class can handle 160 needles but not all - my singer 111 can but I do not use needles thicker than 140 with this machine.

Edited by Constabulary

okay thank you! Maybe I go with 140 size needles first!

Since there are so many classes and sub class of the Pfaff machines it would be nice to know which Pfaff you have. To handle 160 needle I think your machine has to be at least a model C in a H2, H3 or H4 with the H1 only being able to go to 110 needle.

kgg

7 minutes ago, kgg said:

Since there are so many classes and sub class of the Pfaff machines it would be nice to know which Pfaff you have. To handle 160 needle I think your machine has to be at least a model C in a H2, H3 or H4 with the H1 only being able to go to 110 needle.

kgg

Its Pfaff 145-1B H2L...so am I good to go with 140? (120 fits okay).

4 minutes ago, laether said:

Its Pfaff 145-1B H2L...so am I good to go with 140? (120 fits okay).

I understand that that models max rating is for V69 thread with a 110 needle. The 120 needle is for V92 thread which for most machines will work but you are going above the recommend max needle size and max. thread size. I think most machines can go one size up from the recommend thread / needle size with a few minor adjustments but the 140 needle is for V138 thread. You may run into clearance problems between the hook and needle which could affect stitching, broken needles, etc.  Someone else maybe able to advise if it is possible increase the clearance and how.

kgg