I started making these last year after a long illness to try and push back against skills regression. It’s pretty addictive making smaller, quicker projects such as these, although a bunch got thrown away. Still need to improve on what was lost.

Made using 1.4mm pueblo and stitched with .45mm Yue Fung linen thread. They can take 2 cards to begin with then stretch out to fit about 4. Any feedback or criticism is very much welcome.

BB8875E8-1991-421D-BFFC-4116F189B3E7.jpeg

AEC9AD2C-FDB4-4A17-B3F4-20B6F9D92382.jpeg

2123DC64-8681-4336-8818-6A60E156ECA0.jpeg

55FEBACD-5A51-4742-AE1A-457AFEAD6BFB.jpeg

What's not to like?  It looks great.  I like the edge creases, adds a lot to the appeal in my opinion.  The color is great, the burnishing is great too.

This is a minor thing, but I do think the corners where the stitching changes direction could be improved by making the hole in the corner a round one.

Nigel Armitage demonstrates it in one of his videos.  Having a round hole there allows it to act as a "hinge" and the result is a square transitiion rather than a more rounded look.  That is a minor quibble, but you asked and I do think it adds something to the finished look.

The other thing is the thread.  I think it is maybe one size too small for the holes.  The holes are somewhat prominent in comparison.  Did you tap them down at all?  As you know that can help a bit.

Obviously my comments are based upon my aesthetic tastes and you might see it differently.  

Like I said, it looks great.  Perhaps there is room to be even greater?

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve tried Nigel’s method of stitching corners, and I’ve never liked it. I’ve found the hole it makes is too wide on one side and too small on the other, and end ups deforming the leather at the edges on these softer hides. Maybe a thinner round awl would help, but my experience is it makes small pieces such as this a bit too rough looking.

The same is kind of true for the stitching, I experimented with .65, .55mm and .45mm threads and found the thinnest thread looks best. For the size of the wallet the thicker thread look very coarse, and I’m not a fan of when it looks like they sit directly on top of each other. Like you say, difference of aesthetic taste. Although looking back over the photos, I could’ve tapped down the thread a bit more vigorously! 

Edited by Prusty
Spelling