Sign in to follow this  
Sraab813

Sewing thick leather

I'm working on a couple projects and needing to hand sew what I consider extremely thick leather. Project one is about 1/2" total and project 2 is about 3/4" total... 3 and 4mm diamond chisels but the prongs on those wont go all the way through, I've got a basic awl but not a diamond one. I'd like to know what everyone recommends as far as 1.creating the stitching holes 2. What type and thickness thread should I be using? The stitches are more visual than structural but still need to be able to take some stress.

A well sharpened stitching awl will go through that like a hot knife through butter. If you don't care about the neatness of the stitches you could use a drill and a thin drill bit.

Another way to do thick leather is to use your chisel on the layers individually and then line them up.  It can be done, I've done it.  Nigel Armitage shows how in one of his videos.  Otherwise, proceed as recommended above, it works too.

https://youtu.be/lCFTDqQaEIc

I punch the top layer then use it as a template and punch through each other layer most chisels will do two layer or at least mark the bottom layer, after all are punched I use small 1' brads to line up each layer by running them through a few holes in the top layer then I glue up the layers push the brads through the other layers and slowly slide the layers down the brads and they line up perfectly.

56 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I punch the top layer then use it as a template and punch through each other layer most chisels will do two layer or at least mark the bottom layer, after all are punched I use small 1' brads to line up each layer by running them through a few holes in the top layer then I glue up the layers push the brads through the other layers and slowly slide the layers down the brads and they line up perfectly.

Chuck, I'm glad you mentioned that.  I also stick something into the holes to keep them aligned.  In my case, I use the wide needles used for lacing.  They are tapered and fit snug enough to keep the holes lined up but they don't distort the holes, making them bigger.