Sign in to follow this  
Nocturne

Introduction

Hello all,

My name's Tom, and I'm new to the forum. So here's a quick bit about me...

I've been working on leather tooling for about three years now. Started as a spin-off hobby to a LARP I'm a part of (hence my forum name). I started out making custom belts, and have branched off to pouches, wallhangings, armor, etc. Unfortunately I don't take many pics of my work. Just recently, my fiancee has been reminding me to get pics so we can start a website. Here's a few to share, of some belt detail work, and a Polish eagle wallhanging I made my mom for her birthday.

Enjoy! Comments always welcome.

-Tom / Nocturne

belt1.jpgbelt2.jpgpolska1.jpg

post-4015-1188945496_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1188945535_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1188945569_thumb.jpg

Welcome Tom. Very neat work!

Welcome Tom, good to have you here.

Nice looking work, do you us ecova colors on those?

Ken

Welcome Tom, good to have you here.

Nice looking work, do you us ecova colors on those?

Ken

Actually, no, not anymore. I have used Cova in the past, but was very unhappy with the white. Always tended to crack even under normal wear.

For the white I use regular acrylic white thinned out with airbrush medium, then apply two coats with an airbrush. A friend of mine has used white shoe polish (the kind in the bottle with the little felt applicator) and had good results with that, but I've not personally tried it.

For the detail work on the belts, I used to use regular acrylic on top of that. Lately, my fiancee has taken over the detail painting, and has found that Testors brand acrylics (the little bottles like for plastic model painting) are way better and more vibrant. Once that's all done, I airbrush on two layers of acrylic sealer and call it done.

I've taken belts painted with this method and literally wrung them into a knot and haven't had a problem with cracking. One thing I have found though, is this method does not lend itself well to really thin leathers, it will still crack.

Thanks Tom, I've often thought about the "Testers" model paints. I can remember way back in the day when I made model airplanes and such. I've been looking to try them on some of my shoulder pieces, but was always a bit worried what would happen. I didn't want to try, and find out that it wouldn't work after the fact.

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Welcome home

Very nice belts Love the Snakes... and the wall hanging inspires me to make one of my family crest....

Funny you should mention Testers.... I recently did a forearm piece and before I remembered to do the Celtic knotting in red dye, I dyed the whole thing black.... oops... so, looking around, my eyes caught my model craft work area and my paints.... I have a semi large selection of both Acrylic and Enamel Testers paints, and went over to get a red..... I figured that since the Cova is Acrylic the Testers Acrylic would work fine.... I didnt hesitate... Grabbed it up, and applied it to the carving, then grabbed the White Cove and did the other part I wanted in white and it all turned out very well... Used Super Sheen over it and was very happy with the final product....

http://www.testors.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=4

Glad you are here. nice work!

Nice work , look forward to seeing more.

By "regular acrylic" what do yo mean ?

Nice work , look forward to seeing more.

By "regular acrylic" what do yo mean ?

Any old acrylic brand will do. FolkArt "Artist's Pigment" acrylics however (the ones with the gold caps instead of white) are super super thick.