ELeBlanc

Picked up a used Juki DDL 8700H with servo for $150

Looks very clean. Wasn't planning on buying it so temporarily head and base are in different places. I think is a great deal - right?

That Juki is a high speed cloth garment sewing machine, not a leather sewing machine. This forum deals with leather sewing machines. That said, if you are going to be making and repairing garments, it is a good deal.

Wiz -Thanks for the info. Injecting some reality into my purchase..

I see a posting of yours from 2015 that said "Also, sump pump oiled machines need to spin at over 2500 rpm to deliver the oil to the extremities. That is the bottom speed required for proper oiling. Most of the time, they are operated at 5000+ rpm."

So this machine sounds kind of contradictory... I high speed machine with a servo? It was the H  for heavy and the Servo that made me bid on it...

Different topic... Three weeks ago I was in Lancaster PA for an Amish Harness Maker's auction. He had two Juki 441 clones, one a SewPro, that looked like it was driven by a compressor? Hadn't seen that before... They also had a Landis 16 that sold for $150

33 minutes ago, ELeBlanc said:

high speed machine with a servo? It was the H  for heavy and the Servo that made me bid on it.

It has a beefed up feed dog and bigger hole in the throat plate (for a #23 needle), a 5mm longer needle bar stroke, higher foot lift (to clear thicker stacks of cloth), plus more clearance around the hook for larger thread. It is still meant to sew fast and only in cloth (like denim), or light vinyl.

The servo motors use less electricity, produce less heat and are easier for beginners to start on. The machine can sew slowly for a while, but must be run fast to circulate the oil.

@ELeBlanc, if the table and motor are nice, you can sell the head and use the table and motor as a host for another walking foot machine. At that price, you can sell the head and keep the  rest for free (350 value). I just picked an 8700 yesterday for that exact purpose. I got it for a Juki LU-563 head (factory new) that needed a table.