I’m new to leather crafting and have been primarily making holsters for friends and coworkers. I’m using 8oz leather or thicker and my holsters are usually about 10-11mm thick on the edges.  I’ve been hand stitching the holsters, which I’m getting more comfortable with, but was thinking about buying a Tippmann Boss stitcher.  I’ve also looked at the Cowboy Outlaw which, other then appearance, seems to be the same machine. Any opinions or advice on this. 

Thanks,

Mark

Former Boss user, current Cowboy 4500 user here.  The Boss will do what you want but the short throat becomes an issue frequently.  Also I think the support for the Cowboy Outlaw will probably be better through their network of dealers.  Honestly I would look closely at the Cowboy class 3 machine, not sure what the number is 3200 I think. Cost wise I don't think you are real far from the cost of the Outlaw and you have a much better machine.  The hand stitch machines can be difficult to maneuver, its amazing how often you need that second hand to hold the threads or the object itself while sewing.

Todd

Thanks for the feedback. I have thought about the second hand issue also. I will look at the CB3200 but the little bit of leather work I do I don’t know if I can justify it right now. The reason I was even considering the Boss is that I found one for under $1000.00 new in the box. If it’s not worth it though I can still wait and spend my money on a better one later when things pick up.

Mark

I agree with Todd 100%  Throat room is a problem at times.  I think the 3200 is available with a hand crank around $1600  Could always motorize it later.