Sign in to follow this  
DaveP

liquid items needed

Starting from scratch what finish items would you recommend? I will primarily be making knife sheaths. What to use on edges, leather dye, burnishing liquid (if needed), sealer, glue, etc to complete the sheath from start to finish.

Thanks again,

David

The basics for me would be whatever color die you are using, saddle soap, contact cement and resolene.  I prefer the Fieblings Pro dies, I tired and Eco Flo all in one die and finish that was given to me and was not impressed.  My preference for contact cement is, Renia Aquilim 315 Cement, it is odorless and works just as well as the wildwood or barges in my opinion.  Finish wise I have had good luck with both Resolene and Mop and Glo both cut 50:50 with water I use a sponge paint brush and put on light coats.  I use the Fieblings saddle soap that comes in the tin that looks like oversized shoe polish, I rub it on the edges after sanding with 100, 220 and 400 grit sandpaper.

Todd

Thank you Todd for your reply. I had to look up a couple of the products mentioned. Resolene and 315 cement. Watched 2 short videos on Resolene. Didn't realize that the dye would bleed out after drying. Do you cut it 50/50 so it applies better or is there another reason?

Thanks again... David

Cutting Resolene 50:50 was widely reported on this forum as the best way to apply it so I tried it and it worked well so I have never tried full strength.

Todd

I made the mistake of trying resolene at full strength at first, it left rag/brush marks I was never able to get rid of. Way easier to work with when cut down. Save a few old medicine bottles, they’re great for storing your diluted liquids (most dyes can be extensively cut as well).