LionCrownLeather

Leather stamping or burning

Hi, 

I am going to create some smaller projects with veg tanned leather such as keychains, wallets and card holders for my business. Some of these keychains I want to have a figure on, for examolenan animal. I dont know if I should buy a stamp to punch the design or if I should use a brass stamp which connects to a heating machine. When do you decide which one to buy/use for your projects? Maybe you use punching tools for design and heat stamp for logo only? I was thinkinf that maybe the heat stamp can be used as both punch and heat which gives more flexibility. 

1. I get all my special stamps made in brass. Actually, that is the only metal my makers use

2. each stamp comes with a threaded hole in the back

3. on veg tan leather I wet the leather and just press the stamp impression in using my lever press.

4. In theory I can fit a shaft into that threaded hole and up into a soldering iron and heat the brass stamp up

5 if I heat the stamp up I should be able to burn the impression into chrome tan leather or even wood.

6. Get your stamp made in brass with a threaded hole on the back, then it can be used the way I use mine.

Using the same stamp for both isn’t a problem.   I’ve even rigged up a plate to use a standard non shaft stamp with a hot foil machine.   Works fine to run off a reasonable number of key fobs when needed.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, fredk said:

1. I get all my special stamps made in brass. Actually, that is the only metal my makers use

2. each stamp comes with a threaded hole in the back

3. on veg tan leather I wet the leather and just press the stamp impression in using my lever press.

4. In theory I can fit a shaft into that threaded hole and up into a soldering iron and heat the brass stamp up

5 if I heat the stamp up I should be able to burn the impression into chrome tan leather or even wood.

6. Get your stamp made in brass with a threaded hole on the back, then it can be used the way I use mine.

On 5/2/2020 at 7:50 AM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Using the same stamp for both isn’t a problem.   I’ve even rigged up a plate to use a standard non shaft stamp with a hot foil machine.   Works fine to run off a reasonable number of key fobs when needed.

I have a soldering iron and two brass stamps and I will try the method you mentioned above on a wet piece of leather. I don't have room for any big machines in my apartment so I bought a soldering Iron from China which doesn't take much space but I was curious if any of you have a go to method when burning your designs into the leather? I find it very hard to be consistent with the logo, sometimes it is more burnt on the top and the logo becomes darker differently on different areas. I try to put pressure evenly, not sure if it is the soldering irons bad quality or anything else I am doing wrong.