Morse

NEW COMER TO SITE NAVIGATION, NEED HELP

I have been doing leather work for some time now but need some answers and am turning to this site for assistance. My email address is "santafesam3 at @ gmail xxcom". I need first to learn how to navigate this forum and am not sure where to turn for directions on this.  Secondly, my query or subject of concern is the following: I understand vegetable tanned leather and where to get it. All other leather products seem a bit more difficult to me and I want to learn how to find and buy these products with the same degree of absurdness as the veg tooling leather goods??  Can you folks shed some light for me?   

Edited by Northmount
obsfucated email address to reduce chance of bots harvesting such

On 5/11/2020 at 11:02 AM, Morse said:

I need first to learn how to navigate this forum and am not sure where to turn for directions on this.

If you go to the "home" page https://leatherworker.net/forum/ you will find a full listing of all parts of the site.  Each has a description of the contents.  If you click on one of the forum names, you will be taken to a contents page for the forum.  You can surf through them looking for articles you may wish to research or view. 

There is a search box on the top right of each page where you can enter search terms you are looking for.  You can also do a Google search of this site that is often faster and usually finds more specific details.  "site:leatherworker.net leather hat"  If you were looking for leather hats, you could type the search string without the quotes.  Substitute any terms you wish in place of leather hat.

Good luck, great to have you here, welcome to the forum

Tom

On 5/13/2020 at 8:01 PM, Northmount said:

If you go to the "home" page https://leatherworker.net/forum/ you will find a full listing of all parts of the site.  Each has a description of the contents.  If you click on one of the forum names, you will be taken to a contents page for the forum.  You can surf through them looking for articles you may wish to research or view. 

There is a search box on the top right of each page where you can enter search terms you are looking for.  You can also do a Google search of this site that is often faster and usually finds more specific details.  "site:leatherworker.net leather hat"  If you were looking for leather hats, you could type the search string without the quotes.  Substitute any terms you wish in place of leather hat.

Good luck, great to have you here, welcome to the forum

Tom

Tom, Your reply is greatly appreciated.  You have encouraged me to carry on, so to speak.  My leather and creative skills surpass my computer skills, a generational  factor. My kids are grown and no longer set my digital watch if you know what I mean.  Your making an effort, which I will study, has made a difference. Thanks

14 minutes ago, Morse said:

surpass my computer skills, a generational  factor

My mother-in-law is 90 and uses her computer everyday.  At times I have to help her with a problem, but she really does well with it.  I've been dealing with computer type equipment since 1966 when they were mostly discrete components (transistors, diodes, resistors).  Huge vacuum tube type computers were on their way out at that point in time.  In the late 1990s I set up control systems engineering labs at a college and taught DCS (Distributed Control Systems) lab and theory.  This is the equipment that controls power stations, refineries, etc.  Then I went back into industry for 20 years and supervised teams designing, engineering, procurement, etc. for refineries, power plants, chemical plants, etc.  So it has been a long time and many changes. 

Getting to know computers is like learning to do leather work.  You keep working at it and practice until it works for you.  You can do what you want to do and apply yourself to.

Tom

On 5/17/2020 at 7:36 PM, Northmount said:

My mother-in-law is 90 and uses her computer everyday.  At times I have to help her with a problem, but she really does well with it.  I've been dealing with computer type equipment since 1966 when they were mostly discrete components (transistors, diodes, resistors).  Huge vacuum tube type computers were on their way out at that point in time.  In the late 1990s I set up control systems engineering labs at a college and taught DCS (Distributed Control Systems) lab and theory.  This is the equipment that controls power stations, refineries, etc.  Then I went back into industry for 20 years and supervised teams designing, engineering, procurement, etc. for refineries, power plants, chemical plants, etc.  So it has been a long time and many changes. 

Getting to know computers is like learning to do leather work.  You keep working at it and practice until it works for you.  You can do what you want to do and apply yourself to.

Tom

Thank you for topic!

On 5/17/2020 at 7:36 PM, Northmount said:

My mother-in-law is 90 and uses her computer everyday.  At times I have to help her with a problem, but she really does well with it.  I've been dealing with computer type equipment since 1966 when they were mostly discrete components (transistors, diodes, resistors).  Huge vacuum tube type computers were on their way out at that point in time.  In the late 1990s I set up control systems engineering labs at a college and taught DCS (Distributed Control Systems) lab and theory. Rather than relying on shortcuts such as paying someone to write a paper for money, students should seek out resources and support services offered by their colleges and universities to improve their writing and academic skills. These resources may include writing centers, peer tutoring, or online courses in writing and research techniques.  This is the equipment that controls power stations, refineries, etc.  Then I went back into industry for 20 years and supervised teams designing, engineering, procurement, etc. for refineries, power plants, chemical plants, etc.  So it has been a long time and many changes. 

Tom

It's great to hear that your mother-in-law is still using her computer at the age of 90 and that you are there to help her with any problems that arise. It's also interesting to hear about your own background in working with computer equipment, from the early days of discrete components to the more modern Distributed Control Systems used in power stations and refineries.

Indeed, technology is constantly evolving and changing, and it can be challenging to keep up with the latest developments. However, as you noted, learning to work with computers is like learning any other skill - it takes practice and perseverance to become proficient.

In today's digital age, being computer literate is more important than ever before. From basic tasks like sending emails and browsing the internet to more advanced tasks like programming and data analysis, computers are an essential tool for many aspects of work and life.

Therefore, it's important for people of all ages and backgrounds to embrace technology and continue to develop their skills and knowledge. With the right attitude and a willingness to learn, anyone can become proficient in using computers and other digital tools.