toxo

A quart into a pint pot?

I suspect there's no answer to this but you never know what lurks in the minds you clever guys and gals on here.

I'm trying to make a newsboy hat from a Dieselpunk.ro pattern. This pattern was designed for hand stitching which I'm trying to avoid as much as possible. Ther are 8 panels, all french seams so three rows of stitches per panel. That's a lot of stitches. I managed to machine those ok. The problem comes when you get to joining the panels to the sweatband. Because of the "puff" to the hat there's a lot more hat than band. Tony See (Dieselpunk.ro) does it by clever use of the stitches. By using wider spaced holes on the hat than on the band each stitch pulls on the hat and closes down the circumference. If doing it with fabric you could simply put one or two pleats in but you can't do that with leather. On the prototype I put a cut in each panel and overlapped to close the distance. Maybe the answer is to start with a bigger still cirircumference, and make a bigger cut which can be stiched on the inside. Not struck on the cut idea because you're always ending up with nothing to sew at the end of the cut. So come on you smart people. What's the answer?

At the end of the day I've cut out a considerable amount of hand stitching and will do the rest by hand if neccessary but we all love a challenge don't we!

I've said a mouthful I know and I hope I've made it clear.  Thanks guys.

I think I've figured it out. I'll alter the curve on the pattern so the individual panel size at the bottom equals whatever size the sweatband is. 

Here's what I ended up with. IMG_20200516_010607.jpgIMG_20200516_010515.jpgIMG_20200516_010640.jpgIMG_20200516_011643__01.jpg

Edited by toxo

I have no idea but it looks great on your pooch.

I think I've solved it. The pattern comes with different sizes and either a six panel option or an eight panel option. If I leave the widest part of the panel for the "puff" I can redraw the bottom of the curve according to panel option and head size ie, divide the band size by six or eight which will give the distance from center seam to center seam. Does that make sense?

On 5/16/2020 at 7:49 AM, toxo said:

IMG_20200516_011643__01.jpg

Huh, you look different than I expected. :blink:

14 hours ago, toxo said:

I think I've solved it. The pattern comes with different sizes and either a six panel option or an eight panel option. If I leave the widest part of the panel for the "puff" I can redraw the bottom of the curve according to panel option and head size ie, divide the band size by six or eight which will give the distance from center seam to center seam. Does that make sense?

That makes sense to me. The shape will be a little different, but should be close enough to still work fine.

2 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Huh, you look different than I expected. :blink:

That makes sense to me. The shape will be a little different, but should be close enough to still work fine.

Well age catches up with all of us.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited by toxo

Well so far so good. I made a die based on the altered pattern. I also left it longer at the bottom so it can accomodate a smaller band size.

IMG_20200518_231205.jpg

Eight panels cut. We'll see how we get on tomorrow.

IMG_20200519_000724.jpg