Hardrada

Slings: Leather Choices

Getting ready to make some rifle slings and I was wondering if Cypress Latigo would be, if not the best, a suitable choice for stuff that's gonna be worn outdoors. Not too interested at the moment on tooling (can't anyway, with Tandy closed making it impossible to buy tooling tools), so veg tan isn't a must. Would Chromexcel be another viable option for this purpose?

I'm also wondering about the right weight for this. The latigo is offered only in 6-7 oz or 12 oz. Would 6-7 oz with a veg-tan cow suede lining be strong enough?

I was also wanting to make some padded ones, with 1/4" neoprene sandwiched 'twixt the latigo and the suede.

Thoughts?

I would think a 6-7 oz with a liner would work. I'm getting started in making slings myself. The prototype I made was, I think, 4-5 oz and far to light to use reliably. 

You can still order from Tandy on line.  I've ordered a lot over the past two months.  If over $150 there is free shipping otherwise it's $12.50.  

16 hours ago, Sparky68 said:

I would think a 6-7 oz with a liner would work. I'm getting started in making slings myself. The prototype I made was, I think, 4-5 oz and far to light to use reliably. 

My own prototype was from 9 oz water buffalo that I got from Tandy. Very supple and a bit stretchy, but it seemed to hold a piece alright. Need to try it on a heavier arm, though.

I ended up ordering a side of 7 oz latigo:

https://vimeo.com/412848049

Looks very firm. I was thinking medium firmness would be best for this purpose, but we'll see.