Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Look what Clay sent me

Up until yesterday, I was okay with my nylon laptop case. It has a zillion pockets, but I had to replace the cheap plastic clips (is plastic really "hardware"?) that held the shoulder strap, and, of course, I just made a new (leather) strap while I was at it. Who wants cut frayed nylon? I made the new strap a little wider than the original for comfort, smoothed the sides...and started eying the nylon case with disdain. Then the package from Clay Banyai arrived with the piece I will be using for the shoulder pad. Now I cheerfully hate the whole nylon ensemble, and I would be even scared to use the beautiful piece Clay made, just in case it became damaged, except I've had and used enough leather to know it will be perfectly fine, and just look better and better as time goes on...while smartly performing its intended function- sparing my shoulder from pain, in style, by distributing the weight of the case evenly. Some of you know that I've been breaking bones like a rodeo rider lately, and since I shattered my right wrist a few years ago, taking notes at meetings is easier for me with my laptop than with a pen, and then after a dozen rib fractures this summer, even a lightweight laptop gets heavy on my shoulder because I do carry it around. (Oh, wait a minute- that might also have something to do with the fact that my purse is full of real leather, and weighs as much as a bowling ball...My husband jokes that if the mugger wants my purse, I should swing it like a deadly weapon, but I'm getting off track.)

Clay sent me a little piece he must have done "playing" (carvers do that!) which he obviously had fun doing, and probably doesn't think a thing of, because he can make dozens more, but I will always treasure his "doodle", and am already trying to figure out how to hang it (In a hoop maybe?) Take a good look at it- I know the picture doesn't do it justice, but Clay "gets" undercutting. The leaves have more than a texture- they are lifted with skill to appear to be sculpted leaves laying on leather. I've seen leather work from all over the world, and I've been lucky enough to see some of the finest leather carvings by the masters in the world. I want to tell you folks, Clay can carve like that, too. Notice how easily he walked the beveler, and how sure the swivel knife cuts are. Now Clay would say the carving is the easiest part, and he makes saddles, so he should know, but to me, it's awesome what you folks can coax out of leather. I ruin good hides every time I decide to try to get on the horse again and carve something really simple, with a craftaid, and a six foot Al Stohlman poster right in front of me, but Clay can just whip out works of art whenever he can find the time to get into the shop. My first husband, Little Jon, was like that. At the first IFoLG show we went to people kept telling me if I used the leather I had, it couldn't be entered into competition. It mystified me- Jon could always make more- like Clay, the carving was the fun part, and the construction was work. I have come to appreciate the difference between real carving and Mexican chicken scratch or embossed mass produced garbage, which isn't much different from my inexpensive nylon laptop case that I'm eyeing...wondering if it's worth it to make a new one, cover that one, look on the net for at least a real leather one, even if it has to be imported and mass produced, or sell a car or two or maybe all my jewelry and get "The Ultimate Laptop Case"...I'm a housewife in Ohio, and I can't imagine being able to getting on the list for commissions from people like Verlane, WC, Paul Krause, Jeff Mosby, Rod & Denise Stanger, Deidre la Blanc, Dave Anderson, Kate Dubiel, Roz Kaohn, oh, good grief, this could be a long list. I can think of a dozen or more leatherworkers I would be pleased just to have a discarded scrap off their floor... and Clay gave me this sweet piece as casually as I might take a casserole to a neighbor. I love your work, Clay, and I'm one of your biggest fans. :thankyou: Check this out, folks...ain't I a lucky girl? Pictures can't do his work justice.

Johanna

claybanyai__Medium_.jpg

clayb__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1160147621_thumb.jpg

post-5-1160147655_thumb.jpg

Aw shucks, Johanna, it really wasn't that big a deal :blush: Just a small token of my gratitude for all you have done with this forum, and the other stuff you have done for me.

I hope the judges at the show next week will like my entries half as much as you liked your shoulder pad.

Clay

At the shows, no one is supposed to sign their work, and sometimes the Host Guilds will use masking tape if someone forgets, to eliminate any favoritism. After you've been to a few shows, and have seen the work year after year, you can walk up to the table and say "That's so and so, that one is Mr. Smith's, that one is Mrs. Jones." with relative ease. Each carver has their own style. I know I will know Clay's work before the ribbons are announced. I predict ribbons.

Now, I need to get my butt into the shop and do some work- I need a back piece with a slot and I think I'll lace it, well, just because. It was finished in oil and Neat Lac, and I really like the natural look- it looks like leather! I made the replacement strap out of a piece of black Latigo that I had, so it's got to go. The new strap needs to be natural, too- maybe some Antique? Suggestions, anyone? My eight year old is about to get a new black belt! (I need the hardware back! LOL) My daughter wants me to paint/dye the initials, for emphasis. Not sure I want to do that. All I know is that I've got less than a week to make time to do this right, and I'll be nervous that I'll screw it up intil I'm done. It's been a long time since I worked with leather every day. By the way, Clay, everyone who has seen it has loved the smell...lol There is nothing quite like that in the world, now is there? I'll take pics of your ribbons and fire them to you on my laptop at the show, Clay- you'll be one of the first to know. ;-)

Johanna