gunfighter48

Sewing Machine Needle Systems Question

Thanks guys really appreciate the reply back. :notworthy: Bob appreciate the chart and will definitely check it out. Wiz if you have never heard of a #17 needle (with all your experience) that probably explains why there isn't much info out there on the net. In checking the needle package that came with the machine, it reads Schmetz , Germany, system DPX17, not sure what the word "system" stands for or mean? If it were you, would you go with the correct size thread for the #16 or the #18 needle? From what I have read about the different industrial size needles, the #17 is more for heavier fabrics, canvas etc and lt wt leathers ...the #16 more for the heavier leather. My first project is going to be to sew up a (leopard print) horse saddle pad with 1/2" foam in the center, I'm thinking the #17 needle should work fine for that...just got to figure out the correct size thread, has to be durable and strong since it will have to stand the weight of the saddle and rider for hours on the trails. Thanks again for helping a newbie :cowgirl: out!

"system DPX17" indicates the overall geometry of the needle, not the diameter of the business end. There is no #17 needle. Many "systems" have 17 in their designation, such as: 135x17. Needle "sizes" relate to the diameter of the shaft. A #18 needle in any system has the same basic diameter where it passes through the material. There may be variations in the scarf cutout, or the size or shape of the eye, but the basic diameter will be the same for most that claim to be a #18.

The basic rule for needle sizes is to use the needle that allows the thread to flow smoothly, through the eye, without binding. If you hold a threaded needle with the ends of the thread between your hands, then tilt one end up, the needle should move freely, but not sloppily.

If you are going to sew a 1/2 inch saddle pad, I would use at least a #22 needle with #138 thread. I would also test the machine in advance to see if the bottom of the needle bar hits the top of the presser foot, at this height. Most standard industrial machines with typical needle systems, cannot sew that much thickness. You are probably going to have to move up to a CB2500 type machine to do this work. It handles thick thread and almost 1/2 inch of leather, webbing, etc.

Sew Much to Read and Learn I only hope I retain some of it.

OKAY, let me throw a spanner in the works.

Just to be a pain some Chinese manufacturers use a different system. For example;

They call a 7X3 (794) Nm250 needle a 7X250.

BUT!!!!!! There is also an oddball needle for a special machine that they call a 7X250 (76) as it is 76mm long.

Also the GA5 needle can be labelled as a 45X250 as it is originally the 45k needle.

The 97X3 (97-10) needle is made in China under a different numbering system entirely!!