barlowrs

What Order - Dye, Harden, Form and Antique????

Hello, 

I am working on an archer's bracer for a friend that shoots a long bow but I am not sure what steps to do next. So far I have done the tooling, and dyed it. But I would like to harden it to protect from the bow string and form it to shape around his arm, but I still have to do a finish and antique, so what is the best process:

1.  Tool -> Dye -> Resist -> Antique -> Finish -> Wet form/harden (hot water/bake)

2. Tool -> Dye -> Wet form/harden (hot water/bake) -> Resist -> Antique -> Finish 

I am concerned if I go with option 1, the finish/resist will not let the water forming/hardening work well. Would  a better option be wax harden? But I feel option 1 would be better than doing the antique and finish on a shaped part?

Any Advice would be great, thanks!

rsz_220200604_074155.jpg

I've used a leather bracer I made for well over 20 years you don't need to harden it because you will want it to shape itself around the arm so the edge doesn't catch the string,which really hurts, it will self form naturally with the body heat and what little sweat it absorbes. just finish it and maybe  use a little bit of neats foot oil on it, that bow string wont hurt it a bit. I used a waterproofing mix on mine, snow seal or febriengs mink oil  don't remember which so I could use it hunting as well. It didn't ever get really wet but sometimes they get some rain on em. Bye the way it is beautiful work!!!! 

Very nice tooling.  I would not harden it.  As and archer I think the brace should be soft, the string will not hurt you and you can move more with it not hardened.  Just my opinion.  Good luck. You nailed it.

If your string hits your bracer, you're technique is all wrong. I haven't had a string hit my arm since I was a beginner archer, though I still wear a bracer just in case!

In other words, no need to worry about the string damaging the bracer. 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will leave it soft.