Spyros

Pig skin uses (other than lining)

So I bought those pig skins from Tandy to line a bag that I'm making, I guess I wasn't careful and ordered "glazed tan" pig skin which is much darker and glossier than I wanted for that particular project.

Probably ordered a bit too much too.   But now that I'm looking at I actually like it and I was wondering if there's any other use for pig skin other than lining.

It's obviously extremely thin, so maybe I'll have to double it up and sort of line it with itself (or something else) depending what I'm making, I don't know.  

Do people make things out of pig skin?  Any cool pig skin ideas?

Edited by Spyros

By the way I did google pig skin ideas and pig skin projects, and I google returned some awesome recipes for pork crackling.   Which is great I guess, just not exactly what I'm after LOL

moccasins  

How about tri-fold wallets, or lining  or inner pockets for wallets?  I would have thought a glazed skin would look quite stylish in a bag?  How about linings for sheaths or phone cases ? I lined mine with thin pig skin. 

I doubt glazed pig skins would be very  tasty ...however, you could try apple sauce !  :) 

hope that helps a bit,

HS 

I looked at those moccasins and they look great but totally different to pig skin?  Most look like sheepskin with fur.

I thought about wallets but it just doesn't have enough structure, it's really thin and soft.

I've only made a few wallets but I have use pig shin for the interiors.  It's thin and stiff but looks nice.  I recently bought some pig skin that was nice and soft.  I think I'm going to make another wallet and use it for the exterior.  

Moccasins look like a nice idea for one of my next projects.  I made a couple of bags and I think this new pig skin would work nicely as a liner.  I've just starting to branch out from making holsters.  I lined one with the pig skin and the client really liked the different look.

Nigel Armitage has a video entitled 'How to make a simple hand stitched wallet', or some similar title. He covers leather & linings for wallets, and shows how to make a lined wallet. I think he uses deerskin for the lining, but your pigskin would do the job as well

Drawstring - mediaeval style? - pouches & purses

Belts, chokers, bracelets;  braided or otherwise. But you'd have to find the right customers

Lining a jewellery or trinket box

Tube protectors for your little fingers when you're hand sewing

It does look suitable for drawstring pouches and purses.  Maybe a tool/pencil roll as well.

Thx all

Use it to line  knife sheaths, holsters and slings or make gloves or hats maybe. I had a jacket one time made of pigskin its tough stuff I laid down my bike on the street and slid for probably 40 yards on my stomach, ground off the snaps but no damage to the leather shredded my denim pants

Hello, golf shoes. I once heard that golf shoes have to be waterproof and pigskin is waterproof?

Shoes...  probably requires leatherworker level 9

I'm more like a 3 :rolleyes:

Edited by Spyros

Lamp shade.  If selling, keep in mind certain folks wont touch pig skin.  Nothing better than a smoked pork butt.

I have a Singer bantam sewing machine that has a wood storage case.  The outside is covered with pig skin. 

- Bill