Telrasha

Looking to Learn in Apprenticeship

Hi, 

I am posting to see if anybody knows of any place where I could go to learn fantasy or medieval armor leatherworking. Whether this be a paid apprenticeship or working for food & board I don't mind, I am looking for something where I can go for a few months and really practice the craft and learn the ins and outs.

I started leatherworking about 2 years ago and found a had a real like and affinity for it. My main problem is that my current lifestyle does not lend itself to learning this myself. As of 2 years ago I left my corporate career to chase one working with animals. For the foreseeable future I will not have a homebase where I can practice my leather craft. This coupled with the fact that I don't learn very well on my own but learn a lot better when I have somebody knowledgeable nearby who I can bounce ideas off and ask questions to every now and then.

I also find I am not very interested in making wallets and handbags (which is the majority of modern day leather craft I feel. 

I realise that what I am looking for is very niche and I have searched the internet countless times but have never been able to find anything like this (aside from Prince Armory but I need a bit more experience to start there) even though I know it is out there.

I am hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction.

Cheers, 

Jelle 

2 hours ago, Telrasha said:

For the foreseeable future I will not have a homebase where I can practice my leather craft.

Wow, what did you do ... run away and join the circus??

That's going to make it REALLY difficult! 

It would help if people knew your location. Maybe there's someone out there willing to mentor you!

Edit: okay, just saw you are in Dublin...

3 hours ago, Telrasha said:

Hi, 

I am posting to see if anybody knows of any place where I could go to learn fantasy or medieval armor leatherworking. Whether this be a paid apprenticeship or working for food & board I don't mind, I am looking for something where I can go for a few months and really practice the craft and learn the ins and outs.

I started leatherworking about 2 years ago and found a had a real like and affinity for it. My main problem is that my current lifestyle does not lend itself to learning this myself. As of 2 years ago I left my corporate career to chase one working with animals. For the foreseeable future I will not have a homebase where I can practice my leather craft. This coupled with the fact that I don't learn very well on my own but learn a lot better when I have somebody knowledgeable nearby who I can bounce ideas off and ask questions to every now and then.

I also find I am not very interested in making wallets and handbags (which is the majority of modern day leather craft I feel. 

I realise that what I am looking for is very niche and I have searched the internet countless times but have never been able to find anything like this (aside from Prince Armory but I need a bit more experience to start there) even though I know it is out there.

I am hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction.

Cheers, 

Jelle 

Search out 'Irish Arms' ~~ I don't have any contact details for them. Its been many years since I dealt with them. Last I knew they were based on Co. Louth, but may have moved from there

They've made leather items as well as swords, soft clothing and more for many of the top films. Owner is (was? RIP?) Boyd Rankin, a top guy in the way of making things, especially pedantic about it being historically accurate

Edited by fredk