Sign in to follow this  
Zilla

stabilizing my work

I'm currently doing some smaller items and getting the movement when I am trying to tool...so being the smart person I am I referred to my "how too" book. They suggested gluing the leather to Hot Pressed Cardboard. I guess I'm not so smart cause I don't know what that is? I am guessing it is heavier than poster board. I did google the term and about all I could find was mat board. What do you folks use or do you even do this trick? How do you keep your small work from walking across your work bench when you are tooling?

Kevin

I'm new as well but I've found Bookbinders board works well it's that grey stuff that comes in 1mm to 3mm thickness, mat board is generally what picture framers use that coloured stuff for backgrounds. In Australia I usually pick up bookbinders board from Art or Craft Stores heres a link to show you what it is http://www.hollanders.com/supplies/BrowseC...b0-fbe566c65c6f

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Clair

Kevin,

You can glue it to a piece of plastic.

larger than the piece you are tooling. I use craftman cement, but I just put the glue on the plastic, NOT on the leather.When its almost dry I put the leather on the plastic.Not too much glue. When your finished tooling, & after the leather is dry, you can peel the leather off the plastic. You might want to try this on a scrap piece first..Happy Toolin!!!!!

I'm guessing that is what is referred to in art supply stores as "illustration board", a very rigid, dense cardboard. But what I do normally, is run packing tape across the back in criss-crossing layers. That stabilizes the leather quite well for carving. On some occasions, if the leather is permanently mounted on something rigid, I mount it first, then case and carve it.

Kate

Peter Main uses Crescent #215 hot-press illustration board for that purpose. Check art supply stores. I've also heard of using sealed posterboard/cardboard, linoleum squares, x-ray film (personal favorite), plexiglass, shelf-liner (though this may be too flexible if you're trying to use a piece larger than the leather you're working on), masking or packing tape described below (you'd need to tape the sticky side that's exposed beyond the leather, too), and plywood.

Dale

Tony Laier uses Crescent board, too. He likes the thickest stuff he can get, because he can acheive deeper impressions, since the cardboard "gives" underneather the tooling. You can get it at Hobby Lobby, over by the matt board. I don't remember the number of Crescent board he uses. Whatever board you use must be laminated so it will pull off the back when you're done. Pull the board off the leather, not the leather off the board, or you will wrinkle the leather.

Kathy

I use blue tac (the stuff you attach posters to the wall with) get it warm roll it out onto a semiporous hard surface flat but not to thinly that it rips. Slap project on top off you go, it gives a bit of grip no good if the flesh side is wet.

Edited by Pip

Very awesome ideas guys and gals! Thank y'all so very much. *yes I said y'all...I spent the last 7 years in Dallas Texas* :cowboy:

I'm going to run to the Dollar Tree and pick myself up some of that floor tile and might even go get myself a square of plexiglass at Lowes on the way home!

Kevin

If you know of a place that orders boxes of soup cans, the filler between the layers of cans works great. Works for making patterns too. I have used it for making a few checkbook covers and a purse. Reused some of the checkbook cover sized ones too. Already has a layer of rubber cement so it makes it easier to glue down the leather.