Wykoni

Techsew vs cobra class 4

I am debating on a techsew 401 vs cobra class 4.  Not sure which way to go.  Price the cobra about $100.00 more.  Spec wise, they look pretty close, warranty is about the same, so I guess it goes to dependability.  I mostly make holsters and shooting bags and belts.  Any help would be appreciated.  I was thinking about a weaver manual but been talked out of that even though it’s about a 1000.00 less.  

I have no experience With Techsew but I do have experience with a Cobra 4, Cobra Steve, and the Cobra team. It is a great machine with phenomenal customer service and support behind it. Steve has even helped me with my vintage Singers.

Hello,

Like JRodz, I don't have Techsev experience. On the other hand, I'm pocessor of a Cobra class 4. It's a sewing machine very easy to use.
We make Chaps, saddle making or repairs, leather goods and others. This machine is really versatile.
As well for a very thick veg leather than a very fine Chrom tanned hide with his different fixtures.
The step by step motor allows a very great precision.
It permits several work ergonomics, sit and stand. His weight allows to sew big and heavy parts with a good stability (with locked wheels).
I don't say that is the better machine, but I'm convinced that is a good compromise.
Moreover it's a machine widespread and it's easy to find componants. In any case for us in Europe, it's maybe different in USA.

Not sure that I helped you in your questioning but...

Mich'

Edited by FrenchMich

I don't have a leather sewing machine at all, but I do read what others post on here.   From what I've seen, the machines are essentially the same between Cobra, Techsew and Cowboy.  Cobra Steve, Techsew Ron, and Cowboy Bob all three often pop up on LWN to help their customers, and indeed even help their competitors customers frequently (Which warms my heart and helps restore my faith in humanity).   I have never seen any complaints about being unable to get parts or support from any of the three.  When comparing them to buy, take a look at what is included in the package so that you are comparing apples to apples.  I'd take a look at what shipping costs for the machines you are considering since that could be a big consideration.  I'd also think about talking to your local sewing machine mechanic and find out if they have any preference.  You'll get great support from any of the three above over the phone and online, but there are those times that you might need hands on your machine kind of help!

Also, whichever machine you decide to go with - Use the links at the top of the page here and be sure to tell them you found them here on LWN!   Help Johanna keep the lights on here!

- Bill