KMPG

Machine for making purse straps

Hello,

I make totes and purses using antique grain sacks and waxed canvas. I have started making leather purse straps for my bags. They are basic straps with 4.5-5 oz Bison leather. My husband finishes the back. I prefer soft as opposed to stiff leather. I Like the look of double sided leather straps and rounded straps.  What weight leather would you recommend for one sided and two sided leather purse straps? I found some nice leather I liked that was 2.5-3.5 oz. would this be ok for double sided leather. What weight for single sided leather?

I currently have a singer HD 4452 machine. It works well for my purses. It says it works with leather but I haven’t tried it yet as my current leather is too thick for double sided leather that I would sew. I did purchase a walking foot.  I have read people’s thoughts on this forum that do not like this machine for working with leather. Is their an inexpensive machine that you would recommend for making purse straps? I have no desire to make a full leather purse Or anything but purse straps. What kind of machine would you recommend for just purse straps. I have enclosed examples of straps and a purse I made with a simple strap. 

thank you for your help.

Kim

6EEF311F-11AD-4483-909C-5F871DC05E68.jpeg

6A86F08C-91C3-41B3-9017-F272522D1D44.jpeg

C605D107-15C5-4958-8818-0FF5FF4453EB.jpeg

60911F70-A833-4846-B415-E0951EC46819.jpeg

I first recommend you use leather needles they are shaped like a spear and accommodate more thread along the shaft.

You will need to limit thread to #69 118 needle recommended. A walking foot is available for that 4452. There is also a nonstick teflon foot.

The 44xxs have a rapidly accelerating stitch speed you can adjust that some by changing the setting in the foot control.

Usually for fabric the foot pressure is not adjusted you may find the need

For belt seam allowance you may want to use a magnetic guide.

Tom

7 hours ago, KMPG said:

I did purchase a walking foot.  I have read people’s thoughts on this forum that do not like this machine for working with leather.

What make and model machine did you buy? That detail will allow us to read the machine's specs.

6 hours ago, TomMeyers said:

You will need to limit thread to #69 118 needle recommended. A walking foot is available for that 4452. There is also a nonstick teflon foot.

When sewing leather that is between 6oz and 9oz combined, #92 bonded thread is 50% stronger. It requires a #19 or #20 leather point needle.This is beyond what your plastic body domestic sewing machine can handle without great difficulty. Also, I don't think you will have an easy time finding a #19 or 20 needle in the domestic system HAx1.

The walking foot attachments you are referring to are passive follow feet. They don't climb up and down layers and don't assist with the feed motion. They are made for quilters.

A real walking foot machine, like the Consew P1206RB can sew up to 3/8 inch with up to #138 thread, using System 135x16 leather point needles in sizes up to #23. It has triple, or compound feed, ensuring that the layers stay aligned and new layers don't cause the feed to balk (if the lift is adjusted high enough to clear the new height).

I have a YouTube video showing a real walking foot machine in action.

Thank you all for your responses.

I have a Singer HD 4452.

I looked at industrial machines, like Techsew, and they are $1000-$2500 or more. That seems like a lot to pay out for a machine that will be used just for purse straps.

i thought there might be something you could recommend that isn’t so expensive but allow me to make the kind of straps I envision for my purses. What about Juki or Janome machines?

I could just buy pre-made straps but thought it might be more economical to make my own. 

Thank you for your guidance and expertise.

kim

Durkopp Adler once made a set of parts specifically for making purse straps like the one you pictured

https://sew24.blogspot.com/2012/09/sew-luxury-leather-bag-handles-with.html?m=1

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Unfortunately, the Durkopp Adler 205-370 machine went out of production over ten years ago and may not fit your budget even as a used machine. Copies of the DA 205-370 are still available for purchase for around $3-4K..

Regardless, it’s a good reference point for the type of machine that would be perfect for that particular task, Anything else will be a compromise. 

Purchasing ready-made straps may be the way to go. 

Edited by Uwe