deetralala

What brand is this?

Hi, does anyone know what brand is this?

I've recently found a plow gauge in my grandma's house, she couldn't remember what the brand was.

Is it ok if I use a green Langsol block compound to clean the brass? or should I use Autosol/ Brasso?

And for the metal parts to remove the rust shoud I submerge them in vinegar or oxalic acid overnight? Because the rust is really tough to buff, I've used some 150 - 240 grit sandpaper and some warm soapy water, still it won't come off completely.

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm a newbie in this trade and never have any second hand tools before so I'm not sure how to do restoration on it and I don't get much information from youtube either.

Thank you, any suggestion or info would be very much appreciated.

IMG_5489.thumb.jpg.23b9c8710baea11eaa79550ba4ac870e.jpg

IMG_5486.thumb.jpg.b610ed7543d293f08652194d8cb2517b.jpg

May I suggest you try electrolysis to remove rust from any iron or steel components. There are youtube instructions available. You need a charger for a normal car battery, a plastic tub, a piece of scrap iron as a sacrifice object and a sodium carbonate solution. This method does not remove metal from your piece to be cleaned compared with filing or grinding.

Trust this helps

Jim 

Thank you Jim, will research some and try it soon.

21 minutes ago, jasj said:

May I suggest you try electrolysis to remove rust from any iron or steel components. There are youtube instructions available. You need a charger for a normal car battery, a plastic tub, a piece of scrap iron as a sacrifice object and a sodium carbonate solution. This method does not remove metal from your piece to be cleaned compared with filing or grinding.

Trust this helps

Jim 

3 hours ago, deetralala said:

Hi, does anyone know what brand is this?

I've recently found a plow gauge in my grandma's house, she couldn't remember what the brand was.

Is it ok if I use a green Langsol block compound to clean the brass? or should I use Autosol/ Brasso?

And for the metal parts to remove the rust shoud I submerge them in vinegar or oxalic acid overnight? Because the rust is really tough to buff, I've used some 150 - 240 grit sandpaper and some warm soapy water, still it won't come off completely.

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm a newbie in this trade and never have any second hand tools before so I'm not sure how to do restoration on it and I don't get much information from youtube either.

Thank you, any suggestion or info would be very much appreciated.

Nice find!   That likely means it's been in your family for a long time! 

As @deetralala says, electrolysis is a good way to remove rust.  There is a commercial product called Evaporust that works well too.  

For the brass parts, I'd give them a good clean to remove any dirt and then I'd try Tarn-X to shine them up.  Brasso and such are mild abrasives, Tarn-x works chemically and should remove far less metal!

Almost certainly somebody here will recognize that logo.  I think I remember somebody identifying one like it a couple of years ago, but I'm not that good!  

- Bill

A conservation expert at the RAF Cosford museum showed me how soaking metals in a mildly strong citric acid solution worked wonders on cleaning the parts of corrosion. He showed me parts made of iron, steel, aluminium and brass, both before, during and after treatment. I've since used it on metal parts instead of my usual hot vinegar & salt solution.

Edited by fredk