RAMPER

Juki LU-563 OR Singer 29K60

Have an opportunity to trade for either one of these machines.  Looking to sew fire hose, canvas and leather.  BOTH would have servo motors

The Juki and the Singer are two very different machines. I think the Juki LU-563 would be your 'go to' machine for most work. The Singer patcher is a machine more suited for the occasional work that needs the specific capabilities of a patcher.

Patchers sacrifice almost everything for the ability to sew in 360 degrees and in very tight spots. They are well suited to repairing or modifying existing items, but not well suited to manufacturing them.

The Juki LU-563 has a double standard capacity bobbin and compound feed walking feet that allow it to sew 3/8 inch. The Singer 29k60 is a shoe and boot uppers patching machine that has a half standard capacity bobbin and top feed only. It maxes out between 1/4 and 5/16 inch of medium temper leather. As for stitch length, the Juki will probably give you at least 4 to the inch while the 29k may give 5 to the inch at best. and less if the feed motion crank is worn out. Both machines top out with #138 bonded thread using a #23/160 needle. This size thread has a breaking strength of about 22 pounds.

Other incidentals that will probably come up are the fact that the Juki takes all manner of presser feet, including those with spring edge guides and piping feet. There is no such foot or attachment for a patcher. You may have a hard time sewing a straight line without an edge guide on a top feed patcher.

IHTH

Trading (even up I think) a Singer 251-13 that I got on auction.  

I think the Juki with the servo is the way to go.  I had a Consew and sold it before I ever used it.  I have regretted that ever since (made good money, but??)

4 minutes ago, RAMPER said:

Trading (even up I think) a Singer 251-13 that I got on auction.

If you advertise the Singer 251 as a tailoring/dressmaker's machine it may sell fast. Dressmakers like to sew fast and that machine sure can lay down fast stitching.