Sign in to follow this  
Billsotx

How to shorten a web address?

Can a hot-link be shortened and still work?

I've made a poor boyz web page that has a link that goes half-way around the world ... lol ... it'll take up two lines on a business card. I'm wondering if that thing can be done in short-hand without castrating it. I thought I saw how to do this on one of the leather computer forums but I haven't been able to find it. I know the "light & knowledge department" in webpages is here. I appreciate any help: Jo and others. Regards ~Bill

There are services like TinyUrl

http://tinyurl.com/

that do free redirection, but many people don't like to click on those links because we can't hover the cursor and see where we are going ahead of time. Sadly, unscrupulous people abuse the anonymity of these services (there are more, but TinyUrl is the most popular).

Bill, I can get a domain name for you for about $10, good for a year, and I'll host your site for free if you'll link back to the forum. This offer is good for any leatherworker- I have unlimited webspace available.

Sorry if I misunderstood the original question.

Johanna

Jo,

What Tom said is what I meant, I think. Your offer is reasonable, ten bucks, but I don't know what you're talking about domain name, hosting, etc. You're dealing with dumb and dumber here. I don't have my page(s) quite like I want it. Do I need to get all the editing done before I go with your suggestions? Then I'm not sure it'll ever be done because I change, mostly add photos, as I make different things. The thing I put together is a Geo-cities thing - which is hooked to my ISP. I won't admit how long it took me to figure out that cheesey thing; it's on my profile - if it works ... lol. I figured if someone had to type that thing they wouldn't, so I thought I'd try to make it shorter.

A domain name is the URL (Universal Resource Locater) The URL is registered to Domain Name Servers so that when people type in the URL or click the link, the user is directed to that page hosted on a specific server. Domain names should be simple, yet descriptive.

Texasholsters.com

Texasleatherwork.com

handmadeholsters.com

for example, are all available right now. A domain name is purchased through a registrar, which may or may not be the webhost. When you choose a webhost, look for "features". This site has a cPanel and all the extensions. It is possible to build a site on the cPanel and upload it to the webhost, or to do it on different software. A good webhost should provide stats (visitor counts, browsers, resolutions, geographical area of ISP, web pages viewed, length of visit, referral links etc) This helps you tweak your site.

These are also things to consider:

Unlimited POP3 Mail Accounts (email)

Unlimited MySQL Databases

Unlimited Mailing Lists

Unlimited Email Forwarders

Unlimited Subdomains

Unlimited Parked and Addon Domains

Unlimited FTP Accounts

chatrooms, bulletin boards, storefronts and other goodies

Webhosting will vary by features and contract terms. If you allow other ads to be placed on your site, or use a "subdomain", (which is what you have, and why you have a long URL) like geocities, can get a free or very inexpensive site. If you pay for your hosting yearly or quarterly, you may get a better rate. If you want complete control of your site, you buy your own web space with a webhost, and then prepare your site. You can use the tools the webhost offers, or programs like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, and dozens of other softwares designed to build sites. (Google "website building") WYSIWYG is a useful acronym to know- it means "what you see is what you get" which allows simple prompts and drop and drag. Some people can code sites in HTML, the language of the web, in Notepad, which comes on a Windows computer by default. There are sites that will teach you to do this, but it's not practical for a portfolio site like yours. It all sounds more complicated than it is, really.

Hope this long winded explanation helps some.

Johanna

Jo & Tom,

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking at the wysiwyg sites. There's a ton so that'll keep me busy.

Tom I don't think you can eliminate your email address from those geo-cities web pages. That's why I haven't used that as a signature or posted it too many places and another reason I was thinking I might get a shot-cut. It looks like that's not a good idea either.

I'll see if I can put something together from those build your own sites and then work on whatever will be next.

Tom I'm still messing with a photo studio also. If I can get the quality that you have I think it'll workout. Lots to do and I have lots of time ... lol

I appreciate you guys stearing me in the right direction.

Hey, everyone:

Let's take a minute to relax and breathe. It's sad that an effort to help Bill has degenerated into profane posts, and personally, I think this thread should be locked.

Leatherworker.net is a fantastic online resource, and one that I've waited a long time for. Let's try our best to continue to get along here.

-Alex

Hey, Bill... you know my email addy, and you know I'll be glad to assist any way I can. I'm sorry that your thread got hijacked, and that there was unpleasantness (whew! You should see my Inbox!) If you want me to snag a domain name for you, I'll be glad to. (I like "texasholsters.com", do you?) By the way, no website is ever "done". If they were, they would be boring. I will be happy to guide you through the process to build you a nice portfolio, or do it for you and teach you to manage it. It's the least I can do after all this yucky stuff. Your work is good, but it's not going to get found by the search engines very well (if at all) on geocities. Please accept my apologies for all the drama, and let's all get back to leatherwork, promoting leatherwork and having friendly conversations.

Your friend,

Johanna

Alex, thank you, too.

Jo,

I'm off to studying some of those widget, what's it, do it yourself, drop & cover ... lol ... maybe it was drag and drop, things I found on google.

When I can figure some of this stuff out so you'll know what I'm talking about I'll email you. Believe me you're dealing with dumb and dumber here ... lol

I appreciate you offering to help me with my "domain," (my Border Collie has one, but it's not on the web ... lol.

Ten bucks sounds like a bargain to me. I'll gmail you.

be in touch,

~Bill