draker

Consew 225 Feed dog issues

Hello,

I am hoping to find someone that can guide me in the right direction on a Consew 225. I just bought it second hand and it appears to have issues with the feed mechanism. This is a non reverse machine. When I rotate the hand wheel in the forward direction the feed dogs walking foot move very little, or not at all. However, if I rotate the machine in reverse, the feed mechanisms work. One thing I notice is that the shaft that controls the feed is only engaged in one direction (reverse). Spin in the correct forward direction, it doesn't really move. I've recorded two videos of the mechanics of the machine, hopefully someone has seen this before and clue me in on what might be wrong.

part 1

part 2

Edited by draker
embed video

Something must be broken or disengaged on the safety clutch.

13 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Something must be broken or disengaged on the safety clutch.

I'm happy to inspect, but not sure which component is the clutch?

This is an older style machine, but as you turn the handwheel in the second video, the lower shaft should rotate as well.  In your video it sort of rotates at times, and is stationary at times.  There should be a little finger shaped clip on the right side of the lower belt area.

I can't exactly tell from the video, but yours looks like it might have broken off?

Hopefully it's just disengaged.  Follow the manual to reset the safety clutch.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

3 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

This is an older style machine, but as you turn the handwheel in the second video, the lower shaft should rotate as well.  In your video it sort of rotates at times, and is stationary at times.  There should be a little finger shaped clip on the right side of the lower belt area.

I can't exactly tell from the video, but yours looks like it might have broken off?

Hopefully it's just disengaged.  Follow the manual to reset the safety clutch.  

I thought that might be the issue. It appears there is a button to push to reset it. That didn't really do much. But I'll take another glance at the manual as you suggested to make sure I'm doing it right. I'll take some pictures as well.

If the spring that holds the finger in place is broken, you might have to push it back in place manually.  Do this from underneath the machine.  

This video shows how to reset the safety clutch at the 1:20 mark:

So I just read the manual and attempted the reset procedure again and you were right on the money. The clutch mechanism was in fact disengaged. I had to give the handwheel a bit of a twist to get it to engage again. When I did it last night, I didn't use enough force, I didn't want to damage anything. This time, I heard a click/clunk and then it started working as expected.

3 minutes ago, Uwe said:

This video shows how to reset the safety clutch at the 1:20 mark:

Wow thanks for posting this video. This is super helpful!