Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

What is this?

I saw this pic on another list, and I have no clue what it is or does. It was on eBay as a leather tool, but I've not ever seen anything like it. Any ideas?

Johanna

whatisit.jpg

post-5-1163388064_thumb.jpg

Johanna,

That is one of those famous things , see them all over does poeple using them doing all that. Use it for this and that, works like a champ!

Out here where I'm at they call that tool a "thingamabob". Of course that could be a regional name and be called something else where you are.

any chance of asking the seller? I'm leaning towards some form of medieval torture device........or possibly some oddly actuated shears? it's hard to tell what's a shadow/reflection in that pic..

(P.S. don't let ScHwErV see that thing....looks like something he might want to use at the other forum)

A book that might be of help with this one and other older unknown leatherworking tools is by author R.A. Salaman. It is a Dictionary of leatherworking tools from the 1700's to modern (1960's i think). I will see if I can dig mine out in case you dont have that one already.

I saw this pic on another list, and I have no clue what it is or does. It was on eBay as a leather tool, but I've not ever seen anything like it. Any ideas?

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

These are very handy around the shop, any shop. The tool is held in either hand (it is not a righty only tool) at about waist level when moving around the shop TO KEEP PEOPLE OUT OF THE WAY. Notice that it has adjustment for varying depth of penetration as some folks in the shop are more hard headed than others. These are bringing very high prices nowadays as the level of common sense in the shop and my patience has regressed over time.

Art

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

These are very handy around the shop, any shop. The tool is held in either hand (it is not a righty only tool) at about waist level when moving around the shop TO KEEP PEOPLE OUT OF THE WAY. Notice that it has adjustment for varying depth of penetration as some folks in the shop are more hard headed than others. These are bringing very high prices nowadays as the level of common sense in the shop and my patience has regressed over time.

Art

:thumbsup: