bellssn690

Kenmore 148.15600 - Will it sew leather?

Hello all. I'm just getting started with researching sewing machines and I'm looking at buying (local) an unused (new although pretty old) Sears Kenmore 148.15600 for $250 if it would be able to sew leather (purses, wallets, sheaths, etc.). I'm also considering a Consew 206RB-5 which I know will easily work for me but is considerably more expensive. If the Kenmore will do what I'm looking to do, then I'd rather go the much cheaper route and get a useful machine but what I'd like to know is this:

1) Will it handle thicker or multiple layers of leather (bags, sheaths, wallets, etc.)?

2) what modifications will I need to make (if any) to the head?

3) What would be the largest needle/thread I could use?

4) Is it a good buy at $250?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to waste money and I know the knowlegeable folks here will steer me right. Thank you in advance!

Phil

Simple answer is NO. It is a domestic sewing machine made for fabric probably maxing out at V69 and at $250 it seems to me way overpriced. The Consew even through is more expense I think it would be your better option. Those that use the Consew machine would be better to guide you. Remember  "Buy Once, Cry Once" , don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Simple answer is NO. It is a domestic sewing machine made for fabric probably maxing out at V69 and at $250 it seems to me way overpriced. The Consew even through is more expense I think it would be your better option. Those that use the Consew machine would be better to guide you. Remember  "Buy Once, Cry Once" , don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

kgg

Thank you kgg. That's what I need to know and I figured it would be the case but I want to do my homework. I appreciate your help.

Recently, I picked up from a roadside a perfect working Kenmore similar to yours. It came on a table, with a few button sewing kits, lots of accessories, bobbins, needles, feet, threads, and manuals. The maximum I would have ever paid for a used (and your machine is used, no matter what the seller is saying) machine, had I been hard pressed to buy one, would have probably been $40. I gave this machine to my mum. It's her 3d such machine. The previous two were a Brother and a Singer that I also found in cases, with bobbins, feet, etc.

As to whether it can stitch leather, yes, it can stitch the lightest of leathers, under certain conditions. You may have luck with a roller foot, if you have lots of experience. For a beginner, a walking foot industrial machine is a must. Buy a good used flatbed machine for around $300 or cylinder arm for around $600, and it will serve you for many years to come.

Edited by DrmCa

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Recently, I picked up from a roadside a perfect working Kenmore similar to yours. It came on a table, with a few button sewing kits, lots of accessories, bobbins, needles, feet, threads, and manuals. The maximum I would have ever paid for a used (and your machine is used, no matter what the seller is saying) machine, had I been hard pressed to buy one, would have probably been $40. I gave this machine to my mum. It's her 3d such machine. The previous two were a Brother and a Singer that I also found in cases, with bobbins, feet, etc.

As to whether it can stitch leather, yes, it can stitch the lightest of leathers, under certain conditions. You may have luck with a roller foot, if you have lots of experience. For a beginner, a walking foot industrial machine is a must. Buy a good used flatbed machine for around $300 or cylinder arm for around $600, and it will serve you for many years to come.

Thank you very much. this is the kind of information that is very helpful to newbies like me.