cltech9

Anyone Have Any Antique Finish Recipes for tooled Veg Tan

I am interested in doing a little experimenting, dos anyone have any information on home made

Antique finishes For Tooled Veg Tan Leather. I have been told its made with floor polish, and some with coffee any ideas welcomed...

antique finish.jpg

Is there a reason commercially available antiques won't suffice, but smearing mud on your hard work may?

About the only floor polish I have heard anyone putting on their carving is mop n glow as a substitute for Resolene or any other acrylic finisher specifically made for leather.

YinTx

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

mop n glow as a substitute for Resolene or

I'm old enough I remember that smell - without doing a chemical analysis, I'm willing to say that resolene and floor wax pretty much the same thing.

And while I've never 'home made' antique, I did once blend some Tan-Kote with some fiebings dye (which isn't "supposed to" work - an acrylic and an alcohol - before they called it pro dye if that matters) which worked out nice enough people who saw it asked me to mix it again.  Course, I hadn't even considered that so I had no "formula" for getting that same shade again :rolleyes2: but now they have jars of STAIN which is virtually the same thing