Munk7

Columbia 440-2

Hello fellow members, I have been trying to find videos or info if this machine can sew leather. I am trying to learn to sew and use leather and other type of skins to make sneakers, is Columbia 440-2 good to start off with or any good for leather? It’s going for $300,Feedback will be most appreciated.

Edited by Munk7

It is a drop feed machine used for high speed sewing of fabric. In my opinion it wouldn't be suitable for sewing anything expect light weight fabric.

kgg

Not only is it drop feed only, it is also a self oiler with a sump pump sucking up oil from the oil pan. These machine are meant to spin very fast. Leather usually needs to be sewn slowly (< 10 to 15 stitches per second) to avoid overheating the needle and burning the thread. This machine isn't made with that in mind. The oil won't get distributed to the extremities unless you sew at about 40 stitches per second.

1 hour ago, kgg said:

It is a drop feed machine used for high speed sewing of fabric. In my opinion it wouldn't be suitable for sewing anything expect light weight fabric.

kgg

Thank you, would you be able to recommend a leather sewing machine that will be in a $200-$300 price range?

56 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Not only is it drop feed only, it is also a self oiler with a sump pump sucking up oil from the oil pan. These machine are meant to spin very fast. Leather usually needs to be sewn slowly (< 10 to 15 stitches per second) to avoid overheating the needle and burning the thread. This machine isn't made with that in mind. The oil won't get distributed to the extremities unless you sew at about 40 stitches per second.

Thank you Wiz, I appreciate the feed back. Would you be able to recommend few leather Machines in the price range $200-$300?

7 hours ago, Munk7 said:

Thank you Wiz, I appreciate the feed back. Would you be able to recommend few leather Machines in the price range $200-$300?

No. There are none brand new in that price range that are good quality sewing machines. You need to up your budget to about $1200 to $1500 to get a half decent leather sewing machine that is setup, adjusted and ready to sew. Then you'll have to pay shipping unless you can pick it up from the dealer. Machines in this price range are really upholstery class machines. Two that come to mind are the Consew P1206RB and the next higher up Consew 206RB-5. These machines can sew up to 3/8 inch of compressible materials, or maybe 16 to 20 ounces of veg-tan leather.

The next step up would be a heavy duty customized cylinder arm Cobra Model 26, or a holster sewing machine, like this Cowboy CB3200. These machines are specifically setup to sew up to almost 1/2 inch of leather. Machines get larger and prices get higher as you move up into the harness/saddlery quality leather sewing machines like the Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4 and Techsew 5100.