Sign in to follow this  
Bwhichel

Best Machine to Stitch Leather Patches on Hats

Hi Experts!  I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.   I'm planning to purchase a Post Bed machine as the primary use is the stich leather patches on caps.  Things that are important to me...   

• Control (would like to be able to crawl... one stitch at a time). 
  • Thread size (I feel like I need it to support size 138, but would love 207 to be an option)
  • I feel like an M bobbin would be appreciated.
  • Obviously, super consistent/predictable stitches.  

Seems the only Post Bed I can find is the Artisian 4618 LBB.  Am I missing something?   Is there a comparable model offered by  Consew? Cowboy? Cobra? Techsew? 

Also, perhaps I'm overthinking the need for 207 thread, which opens the door for the other brands..   Anyone sewing patches on hats today?  What size thread are you using?

Thanks,
Brent from Harrisburg, NC

10 hours ago, Bwhichel said:

perhaps I'm overthinking the need for 207 thread, which opens the door for the other brands..   Anyone sewing patches on hats today?  What size thread are you using?

Yes, you are overthinking this if you think you can use #207 thread to sew embroidered patches onto caps. The huge knots that normally require at least 3/16 inch to hide them will either protrude on the inside, where the person will feel them on their head, or outside, where they will look bad. I use a Singer 168 walking foot post machine with #92 thread and a #19 needle to do this. Some patches with loose border thread call for even thinner #69 thread and a #16 or #18 needle to reduce the separating of the thread.

All sewing of patches over vest pockets is done on my Adler 30-7 patcher, with #69 thread and a #18 needle.

Agree with Wiz #69 or #92 is sufficient for sewing on patches to hats, caps, uniforms... I have used a patcher (Singer 29K71) or my drop feed post bed machines for that (Singer 34K earlier and now Singer 51w) Sometimes gluing the patches in place with a water soluble glue stick before sewing helps. Sewing on patches IMO does not require "big tech" / super high $ machines.

Look up "810 post bed machine" - thats basically what I´m using but mine (Singer 51w) is many decades older and has no reverse.

Maybe a CB-810 or the like already does the job. Not sure what you can find locally but checking with dealers who have adverts on top of this site (turn of add blocker if using one) is a good idea.

But what ever machine you decide to buy test them before buying with the thread and needle size you want to use or have the dealer to sew off the machine with what you want to sew.

Edited by Constabulary