Schlaumeier

Folded upper material, even lower material - wrong pressure or material too heavy?

I started sewing my sheep skin sleeping bag by hand and then moved on to sewing on the machine (Singer 70R8). Now the upper material folds while the lower material remains smooth. I guess the reason for that is, that the upper material gets drawn in faster than the lower material. I wonder if this is due to too much/not enough pressure or the material being too heavy. I would like to experiment with the pressure but don't know how. The singer manual I found online says, the pressure adjustment is on the back of the machine at the centre of the long arm. But there is nothing there that fits the description. Any ideas?

Sewing sheep skin on a domestic sewing machine like the Singer 70R8  may be an exercise in futility, meaning it’s unlikely to work well, no matter how you adjust your machine. The bottom-only feed machines often struggle to feed multiple layers of material evenly.

Sewing skin-on leather like sheep skin and fur often requires specialty machines to obtain satisfactory results. The hair makes it difficult to keep the two layers aligned and feed them uniformly. 

This video shows the type of sewing machine you’ll need to sew Sheepskin with professional results. They’re sometimes referred to as Bonis or Strobel machines, two of the major manufacturers of these types of a machines.

Edited by Uwe

5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Sewing sheep skin on a domestic sewing machine like the Singer 70R8  may be a an exercise in futility, meaning it’s unlikely to work well, no matter how you adjust your machine.

I agree using a domestic sewing machine is going to be difficult to say the least or near impossible. If you don't have access to a proper fur sewing machine you are going to need at least an industrial walking foot sewing machine and even then it may prove to be difficult depending on the machine and your sewing technique.

kgg