Rykertest

Finding Templates

Hello everyone.  New guy here.  I am not a pro, just like to make things for myself out of leather.  I’ve made some gun mats, a catch all, a keychain, etc.  What I’ve run into when trying to make something that requires a pattern, is obtaining a useable pattern is the hardest part for me.  My current project is to make an SCBA mask cover for myself but making a template shows my limited skill set.  Lol. Does anyone sell those or have an idea how I would have better luck making one?  Thanks in advance for your assistance.  

If you go to Joann Fabric . . . get their 40 or 50 % off coupon off the web . . . go to their back end . . . look for the vinyl that is about 24 bucks a yard . . . has a cotton backing . . . buy a couple yards of it . . . it is I think . . . 45 inches wide . . . gives you a bunch of product to work with.

Then make your beginnings of the pattern with old manila file folders . . . transfer that to the vinyl . . . sew up the vinyl in cheap thread . . . once you get the thing you want in the pattern . . . cut the threads . . . and use it to mark and cut your leather.

Just remember to add a tiny bit for the thickness of the leather . . . being thicker than the vinyl . . . it is my "go to" for making patterns . . . virtually never fails.

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, Dwight said:

If you go to Joann Fabric . . . get their 40 or 50 % off coupon off the web . . . go to their back end . . . look for the vinyl that is about 24 bucks a yard . . . has a cotton backing . . . buy a couple yards of it . . . it is I think . . . 45 inches wide . . . gives you a bunch of product to work with.

Then make your beginnings of the pattern with old manila file folders . . . transfer that to the vinyl . . . sew up the vinyl in cheap thread . . . once you get the thing you want in the pattern . . . cut the threads . . . and use it to mark and cut your leather.

Just remember to add a tiny bit for the thickness of the leather . . . being thicker than the vinyl . . . it is my "go to" for making patterns . . . virtually never fails.

May God bless,

Dwight

the closest Joann fabric store is an hour away, but I’m sure closer shops would have what you’re describing. Thank you for your reply!

Going a step further back, a duct tape pattern is a simple solution. Cover the part to be fitted to in cling film, and add duct tape to that in 2 layers, horizontal and vertical. Cut  free, then tear the surplus film away. Now draw the seams in and transfer to card, either by tracing or photocopying, and cut to shape, allowing some generosity. Copy to card again, simply by tracing around the forms, as the seam lines, and add some seam allowance using dividers once you know what goes where. Trace this onto your vinyl and add the seam lines using dividers again. Notch the seam allowance as necessary on curves, and sew up as a draft fitting, a toile, marking where it needs taking in or letting out. Redraw the pattern accordingly, test again, and if OK make up in leather. You may be able to trim the seam allowance after sewing (and possibly gluing).

Remember to mark project, stage, part name and number, and date as you go. I plasticise my final forms.

Edited by Rahere