Sign in to follow this  
Dogfisher

Pattern making.

I want to make my own version of Galen Leather's Medic Bag and I have created a 3-D pattern with tape and posterboard. What do I need to consider as far as accounting for leather thickness. I'm thinking the leather will be around 5-6 oz. I have made some totes and zipper pouches but this is a little trickier and I don't want to waste too much of my good leather. I also need to reinforce the panel for holding pens. I've seen a few youtube videos about accounting for thickness but I thought I would throw it out to you guys for some real advice.

Here's a link to the bag.

https://www.galenleather.com/collections/writers-medic-bag/products/writers-medic-bag-crazy-horse-tan

Pat.jpg

Pattern.jpg

I don’t have a formula but you could use. Packing boxes / corrugated card for a comparable thickness?

That's actually what I was thinking. Thanks.

You want about 2-3mm space for where the leather hinges, on the front flap in particular but also on the lid. The other corners can be channelled in the flesh side to within 1mm of the grain side, then reinforced with glue once in position. Aluminium angle can be a lifesaver here., inside and out with gentle clamping. I've some long-reach C-clamps for bottom corners, but you could cut toggle clamps from ply quite cheaply.

If it's for medical use, you'll need to rethink the fittings a bit, though.