Handstitched

Strap Cutter Blades

I was just about to order some odds & ends from one of my suppliers, and strap cutter blades were on my list.But I had a light bulb moment. :Lighten:  They look exactly like fibreglass chopper blades. Fibreglass pools were my trade in years gone by.

Anyone used chopper blades in a strap cutter? *

They are only  marginally cheaper than what leather suppliers sell them for . I can get x 100 , for about $65, free postage , against $4.40 pk 5  (  + P+P )

HS

* I've seen a bloke lose the top of his thumb on a f/g chopper......eeewww !!! 

Fibreglass  Chopper blade.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Injector razor blades are really cheap and work great.  They are longer than the strap cutter blades and will protrude further from the cutter, but they also allow more cutting edge that you can move up and down to reuse the blade.  You can buy them on Amazon

I'll try that, thanks . I have a spare injector blade on my thumb strander, (the most lethal leather tool I've ever bought ...and will never use again) 

HS

@garypl Your idea worked  :specool:  Anything to save a bit of money, even its a few bucks, a saving is a saving. 

HS

Glad you liked it!  Tip: The longer blades can stick out from the strap cutter arms by @6mm when fully up or down in the arms.  I made a small cover of leather to slip over the blade end that is sticking out to keep from cutting myself (again) when reaching for the strap cutter!

Yep, great minds think alike. I put a piece of gaffa tape over the end for now ( I think you call it duct tape) . I can be a bit clumsy at times  :) 

HS