palvim

Help me choose which JUKI

Hello, 

I would like to add a juki flatbed machine to my shop and I had a few questions.

I wish to make leather bags, belts and wallets with vegetable tanned leather. The leather thickness and thread is generally as below. 

Belts: around 7 - 7.5mm (two layers of 3.5 - 4mm) with thread size 15/3 or even 10/3 if possible

Bags: around 4 - 5mm ( two layers of 2 - 2.5 mm) with thread size 20/3

Wallets: around 2.2mm (two layers of 1.1mm) with thread size 30/3 or even 40 

But I'd be quite ok with a sweet spot between thread size 30/3 and 20/3 with occasional one size thread up (10/3) and down (40/3) on either side of the sweet spot. 

I have narrowed it down to the JUKI DNU-1541S sewing machine firstly due to its price and easy access to third party accessories. Will this machine be a good fit for this purpose? 

I also see that there is a machine called JUKI DNU-1541/X55245. I understand that this machine is basically a 1541 with modification for thicker thread. But will it work well with the 30/3 thread or say a 40 thread? 

Also my thinking is that the usual 1541 will run on its max limit Vs the x55245 will be somewhere in the middle and not pushed so hard. Is that the right way to think? 

Which machine amongst these two will work best for my needs? I unfortunately don't have access to a JUKI dealer close to where I live in Sweden and I'll be buying it from either Hamburg, Germany or Poland. 

Thanks. 

Vimal. 

Screenshot_20210517-210021~2.jpg

what size thread are you using in American standards.  I do not have a European chart for thread.  If you are using #138 and below weight of thread, the 1541S should work fine.  The DNU-1541/X55245 is for #207 and heavier.

glenn

On 5/20/2021 at 7:24 AM, palvim said:

Belts: around 7 - 7.5mm (two layers of 3.5 - 4mm) with thread size 15/3 or even 10/3 if possible

Bags: around 4 - 5mm ( two layers of 2 - 2.5 mm) with thread size 20/3

Wallets: around 2.2mm (two layers of 1.1mm) with thread size 30/3 or even 40 

The thread sizes you are using if my conversion is correct are:

Belts: thread size 15/3 or even 10/3 if possible  These Tkt numbers converted to the "V"  size would be V 207 for 15/3 and V 277 for 10/3.

Bags: with thread size 20/3 This Tkt number converted to the "V"  size would be V 138.

Wallets: with thread size 30/3 or even 40 These Tkt numbers converted to the "V"  size would be V 92 for 30/3 and V 69 for 40.

Personally I would probably look for a heavier duty machine then the DNU-1541/X55245 machine if most of your work involves using Tkt 10/3 ( V277) thread top and bottom. You maybe need to look at having two machines, one for the Tkt 10/3 ( V277) projects and one for the rest.

kgg