Sign in to follow this  
BarnOwl

Adler Easter egg hunt

So this is my second post on this forum. I acquired a Durkopp Adler 204-64 industrial sewing machine at an auction and am looking for some information regarding a good parts supplier. The previous owner had an auction house come in and clear out some of his unused machinery from his business that makes leather holsters and knife sheaths. They make a whole lot of other things but the sewing side mostly it is weapons related. He has several other Adler machines and he robbed several parts off of the machine for the other machines still in service. Among the items missing are the presser foot, the needle collar, basically the entire thread tension system needs to be replaced, the thread guide on top of the machine and several bobbins are needed. The good news is that the shuttle hook is in place and the entire assembly looks intact. I may need to relieve some burring on the hook but the rest looks okay. 

Most manuals or parts lists are in German and it is a bit frustrating to research this machine only to find it all written in another language. I have looked up companies like Campbell Randal and most of their products for this machine do not have images associated with the product. I don't like gambling on a $100 foot when I am not 100% that it is the correct part. 

Who out there has experience with the 204-64 and can give me some beta on the parts I need. Also a diagram on threading the machine would be a big help. 

Mike

I use Hendersonsewing.com for all my industrials, and they had a part that fit my Singer Standard No. 3 and had parts for a Rimoldi I have when no one else seemed to.  Checked and they have part for Durkopp Amerika, but you usually have to have your part numbers you need to use them if you can find the schematic for it.

Edited by Kwaaked
cat helped to type

I will try Henderson sewing, Thanks! 

Thanks to Uwe, I have the parts list and exploded view of the machine but it is all in German and the numbers listed are not the same as the item numbers from the supply shops like Campbell Randal. Then with out a photo of the actual item it is kind of a crap shoot. There are several different presser feet for this machine and each costs about $100. My hope is to find someone who has this machine and can tell me what set up they have

So here are some images of my 204-64

as you can see some parts are there and some are not. I would like to rebuild the forward reverse lever back to OEM and the tensioners need to probably need a complete rebuild just so I works as designed. Rather than trying to save old parts and make them work I think new would just make more sense. For those of you familiar with Adler the for/rev lever appears to be off of a 104-64 machine, and the 204 had a spring lever and stop built into the lever itself. If I cannot find one fabricating one shouldn't be too difficult. 

C8701FEA-A355-40CA-8EE7-0092B2FAE791.jpeg

F7BA5B2F-79DB-43D4-A284-A404D611091E.jpeg

3F8DC85C-0EDE-49A9-A67E-4C5C05C5D704.jpeg

Edited by BarnOwl

So an update on my Easter egg hunt. I bought all of the parts needed for the machine and will be up and running by the time I finish my sewing table. I shopped Campbell Randal and talked to Dan on the phone. If any of you are looking for a place to buy hard to find parts, Dan is the man. He spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me chasing down dozens of parts ranging from $2 to $200.He was very accommodating and not once did it seem he had better (more lucrative clients). All in the parts cost me more than the machine from the auction, but it is worth it in the long run as most of the parts I purchased are not the consumable type parts but the part that are supposed to last forever but were missing. 

I don't know why, but it always makes me feel good when a parts machine is brought back from the dead - good job!

Some parts from a 205-270 will fit this machine.

glenn

I once had an Adler 204-374. It looked exactly like this machine, but had triple feed. It had many parts in common with its cylinder arm brother, the Adler 205-374. It weighed 175 pounds and the table was warped, as was my trailer floor.

The difference between the -370 and -374 is the feed dog. The -370 has teeth while the -374 is smooth, like the Cowboy and Cobra 441 class feed dogs.