Sign in to follow this  
chrisash

Update your 3D printer to cut leather or Acrylic

Just found these handy drag knife video's on YT on how to make your 3D printer cut out leather designs or Acrylic. Far quicker than using Laser tech by the looks of it

First one just uses a drag knife available from CRICUT ads on eBay though the one shown is the short knife there is a deeper one available, CRICUT do make a leather cutting model as the "maker" but at £300 this seems a far cheaper option

Second video is using a 3D printer with a Dremel  attached  and used to cut acrylic and other hard surfaces

I am not a fan of the Chinese 3d printers but it looks like the Ender finally found something it can do reasonably well.

kgg

The bigger knife on the cricut maker states it will cut leather at 2.4 mm though not sure the torque required to cut that on the 3D printer some stepper motors i guess will have more power than others

I have cut leather up to 2mm thick on my Cricut maker, but as I tend to do one off projects the time for getting the design right feels too much.

the one time I used the maker to cut was when making a spiral bound notebook that had 2 layers of leather on the front & back binding page and I wanted the binding holes to be lined up correctly: worked a dream for that.