regius

New Juki LU1508 NH bobbin case does not move

just had delivered a brand new Juki LU-1508NH. The machine was assembled in the factory, mounted to a table, shipped on a pallet to my dealer's store in Hartsdale NY. He threaded it and sewed, no problem. 

His guy then unmounted the body from the table and delivered it, I helped re-mount the machine. Threaded the top, dropped the bobbin into the case, now, all of a sudden, the bobbin case area does not move anymore. Hand cranked the wheel, the walking foot and needle all move normally, the bobbin components just does not spin, so the needle can't pick up the bobbin thread. 
Any idea why? nothing sounds funny, in fact, it's so silent and sounded like something is not engaging. 

Read the manual about the safety clutch. It sounds it is disengaged. 

another quirk I noticed about the LU 1508 is the extra wiggle room on the reverse lever? here's a video, why??? 

wow, UWE channel, life saver!! https://youtu.be/N-MClgDKnq4

JJN, thank you!! I'll try not, I did notice that silver button. 

so, long story short, it worked. Pushed the clutch button down and hand cranked in opposite direction until I hear the click. 

There was a twist to the plot though, after re-engaging the clutch, i started cranking in the normal direction towards me, again. but the entire mechanism just felt so tight and sooooo much friction. as if the whole clutch trick never mattered. i was so scared, it's like i'm about to bend some metal. then it passed the "threshold" and everything started to spin normally, and I started to hear the healthy squeal noise typical of industrial machines. 

I noticed a detail on the 1508 manual (never noticed this on the DNU manual), it says something about do not run the machine idle when a loaded bobbin is inside the case. When I wind the bobbin, without simultaneously sewing a job, I typically lift up the foot with the rear lever, then I run the machine dry, so the needle goes up and down very fast (and so does the bobbin case), while the bobbin is being loaded. Is this good?

Never run your machine with a loaded bobbin while you are not actually sewing. Such as winding a bobbin. Even if the upper thread is removed, the thread will birdnest around the hook and cause the kind of jamming that will trigger your safety clutch. If you did this, this is most likely the cause of your problems. I suspect you still have thread wrapped around your bobbin case or hook. I suggest you clear any remaining thread from your hook before you sew again.

10 hours ago, JJN said:

Never run your machine with a loaded bobbin while you are not actually sewing. Such as winding a bobbin. Even if the upper thread is removed, the thread will birdnest around the hook and cause the kind of jamming that will trigger your safety clutch. If you did this, this is most likely the cause of your problems. I suspect you still have thread wrapped around your bobbin case or hook. I suggest you clear any remaining thread from your hook before you sew again.

Bingo!