evilblackdog

Is anyone familiar with the process of removing an Efka Variostop from an old Pfaff to return it to a manual machine?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fvULpiqfekBmnI34rr7vofxQXf8aUN3F/view?usp=sharing

I'm looking into the process of reverting this back to a standard manual machine. Does anyone have experience and could tell me how difficult it is or what is all entailed?

20211025_145747.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Downloaded and posted photo in.

19 hours ago, evilblackdog said:

Please post your pictures here.  Third party hosting often results in the link being broken by changes in permissions, files moved, deleted, etc.  It then makes the thread useless to those that come along later.

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

Please post your pictures here.  Third party hosting often results in the link being broken by changes in permissions, files moved, deleted, etc.  It then makes the thread useless to those that come along later.

I certainly would have but the max total file size of 1.46MB makes that a bit less convenient.

17 minutes ago, evilblackdog said:

I certainly would have but the max total file size of 1.46MB makes that a bit less convenient.

There are plenty of options to reduce file size easily and conveniently.  See this thread for help with resizing photos. 

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171

Life isn't all about convenience unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Northmount said:

There are plenty of options to reduce file size easily and conveniently.  See this thread for help with resizing photos. 

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171

Life isn't all about convenience unfortunately.

Do you have any recommendations for multi picture albums? Do you prefer a separate post for every 2 pictures?

4 minutes ago, evilblackdog said:

Do you have any recommendations for multi picture albums? Do you prefer a separate post for every 2 pictures?

If you reduce the size to 800x600 or even to 1280x768 pixels, you have room for a hundred or more files in one post.

As I said in your other thread it shouldn't be difficult to remove everything that's an add-on to the machine and just leave the basic head unit on the table. All you've got is a 335 that has had the Efka stuff added to give it specific functionality. More photos, and closer, will help to clarify things. As for any solenoids/air lifters they are only added for the automation, the 335 didn't come with them as standard. The reverse may have only been blocked from working due to the automation and may still be there, again photos will help.

17 hours ago, dikman said:

As I said in your other thread it shouldn't be difficult to remove everything that's an add-on to the machine and just leave the basic head unit on the table. All you've got is a 335 that has had the Efka stuff added to give it specific functionality. More photos, and closer, will help to clarify things. As for any solenoids/air lifters they are only added for the automation, the 335 didn't come with them as standard. The reverse may have only been blocked from working due to the automation and may still be there, again photos will help.

Here's a video I just made. If you need a close up of something to give an opinion I'm happy to oblige. Thank yoy for the help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlNNeRkJq_Y

Many of the walking foot machines use the forward and reverse to adjust the stitch length.  That air gizmo on the top back and the control box may do the forward and reverse plus stitch length, thus no lever required.  Search for Manuals for these machines.  Of course my machine is not a PFAF so can't provide much more help than this.  Have fun while sorting this out!

Impressive. I've only seen photos of Efka units on machines, and no details. 

Edit: manuals here - https://www.manualslib.com/products/Pfaff-335-3541803.html 

It's the "new" model, btw, not the old casting. It will show you what the missing reverse/stitch length lever looks like and you should be able to work out what the various added-on bits do. Those levers on the back would have been added to allow for the automation of foot lift and maybe tension?

Usually the mounting hole spacing for clutch motors follows a standard 3-hole pattern and a servo should line up with the same holes.

The only real problem I see is finding the replacement stitch length lever. Because the 335's were sold as "plain" machines there's no reason this one can't be returned to that state.

Edited by dikman

evilblackdog,

The unit on the back of the machine is called a Dimas unit.  It was made by a company in Denmark for the 1295, 345, 335, 1245 to put toys on the machine.  You can order the front stitch length plate  and the reverse lever rod form Pfaff.  You will also need a standard throat plate, feed dog, inner and outer feet.  Save all the Dimas parts.  I have worked on them and that unit is no longer made. You can remove the trim knife as well from near the hook.  Take motor, control box off.  Contact me with anymore questions. Obviously, you will need a servo motor.  Save all parts.!!

glenn

On 10/30/2021 at 5:13 PM, dikman said:

Impressive. I've only seen photos of Efka units on machines, and no details. 

Edit: manuals here - https://www.manualslib.com/products/Pfaff-335-3541803.html 

It's the "new" model, btw, not the old casting. It will show you what the missing reverse/stitch length lever looks like and you should be able to work out what the various added-on bits do. Those levers on the back would have been added to allow for the automation of foot lift and maybe tension?

Usually the mounting hole spacing for clutch motors follows a standard 3-hole pattern and a servo should line up with the same holes.

The only real problem I see is finding the replacement stitch length lever. Because the 335's were sold as "plain" machines there's no reason this one can't be returned to that state.

Thanks a lot for the info. Do you know how many generations there are in these things? You say it's the "new" casting but it doesn't look much like the ones they're currently selling so I'm curious how many versions there are. I'm also struggling to find the serial number to confirm as it doesn't seem like any of the numbers on the name plate have the correct number of digits.

Thank you for linking the manual, it had some enlightening stuff in there. I thought the solenoid on the inside was an aftermarket add-on but apparently it's the factory option for a thread cutter although I'm still a little confused because it relies on the variostop controller to activate it which I thought was aftermarket as well...

One of the arms on the back is connected to the pneumatic cylinder that lifts the foot and the other does control thread tension but it's tied to the solenoid that is for the thread cutter. Does it just modify the tension when it needs to cut the thread? 

Thank you so much for the help. I love mechanical things and I will figure this out, It's just difficult when I'm starting from scratch when it comes to how these things operate.

pfaff 335 nameplate.jpg

15 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

evilblackdog,

The unit on the back of the machine is called a Dimas unit.  It was made by a company in Denmark for the 1295, 345, 335, 1245 to put toys on the machine.  You can order the front stitch length plate  and the reverse lever rod form Pfaff.  You will also need a standard throat plate, feed dog, inner and outer feet.  Save all the Dimas parts.  I have worked on them and that unit is no longer made. You can remove the trim knife as well from near the hook.  Take motor, control box off.  Contact me with anymore questions. Obviously, you will need a servo motor.  Save all parts.!!

glenn

Would you be open to a quick phone call? (I'm self employed so anytime that's convenient for you would be fine.)
You're the first person to tell me what that thing is called and I'm struggling to get the right questions into text since I don't know the propper lingo yet.
I'll direct message you with my contact info so you can call when it's convenient if you'd like.