Garvey

Dress Form / Mannequin

Does anyone know a good source for a quality Dress Form or a used life-size mannequin?  I know absolutely nothing about them, is there anything I should know before I go looking?  I am looking for something I can use to form costume pieces on, so it would need to be close to my size.  And just for general display of said costumes.

Thank you for your help.

Unless you have the shape of a model, a mannequin as is won't be much good. You can either buy an adjustable dressmaker's dummy, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustoform-FG150-Male-Dress-Form/dp/B00EZQ55VO (can't help with availability because Google gives me mostly French options).

Or you could make it yourself with the help of a friend. Here is how https://paulaobrien.com/making-a-duct-tape-dressmakers-dummy-the-right-way/ though I'm not convinced about the duct tape. When I first read about it 15 years ago they recommended paper tape, the sort artists use to frame pictures or bookbinders to glue pages together. I couldn't find any at the time, used duct tape and it would come apart fairly soon. You might want to look for other instructions- YouTube also has some for adapting a standard dress form to your measurements.

There are stores that sell equipment for other stores - everything from shelving to shopping bags to cash registers - they have the standard display mannequins, which you could maybe adapt to your size. A cheaper way to get them might be to find a store that goes out of business. Or you could try Ebay, or classifieds. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the information Klara.  I never considered making my own.