Ive done several iwb holsters. But i didnt even know what a "claw" or wing was until a good customer asked me to make him a appendix iwb holster with a claw. I found a great claw at holstersmith.com solid aluminum instead of all the plastic ones i seen. And i went with the ulticlip xl for goin over the belt also picked up at holstersmith for less then ulticlip sells them for on there website. 

20211106_113331.jpg

Interesting.  What is the purpose of the "claw"?

16 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Interesting.  What is the purpose of the "claw"?

The claw from my research before making this holster is its mainly just for appendix carry. And the "claw" or wing sets inside the pants and pushes against the belt to keep the grip of pistol pushed inward a little more tucked to the body. Its more for deep conceal carry and it keeps the grip of pistol from sticking out making such a noticeable bulge or imprint in clothing. This was by customer request so i had to study what the heck it was and its purpose myself. And figuring out how to make it work along with the ulticlip xl. The claw and the clip of choice has to line up in just a certain way for it to function properly. If it sets to far back it does nothing if it sets to far forward it makes the edge of pants bulge out and pushes to much. So for the first time hearing about a claw and dang sure first time using one there was alot of figuring and i think i scratched a bigger bald spot on top of the ol melon. But i do enjoy new challenges it breaks up the monotony. I also ran the stiffner piece all the way down the slide and set my t nuts under it. That way the customer can change clips if and when it gives up before the leather does. Also the claw can be removed this way so holster can ve used as a regular iwb. I tryed to add as much versatility as i could. Heres a pic before dying the outside with the clip and claw removed.

20211103_131215.jpg

4 minutes ago, HandyDave said:

The claw from my research before making this holster is its mainly just for appendix carry. And the "claw" or wing sets inside the pants and pushes against the belt to keep the grip of pistol pushed inward a little more tucked to the body. Its more for deep conceal carry and it keeps the grip of pistol from sticking out making such a noticeable bulge or imprint in clothing. This was by customer request so i had to study what the heck it was and its purpose myself. And figuring out how to make it work along with the ulticlip xl. The claw and the clip of choice has to line up in just a certain way for it to function properly. If it sets to far back it does nothing if it sets to far forward it makes the edge of pants bulge out and pushes to much. So for the first time hearing about a claw and dang sure first time using one there was alot of figuring and i think i scratched a bigger bald spot on top of the ol melon. But i do enjoy new challenges it breaks up the monotony. I also ran the stiffner piece all the way down the slide and set my t nuts under it. That way the customer can change clips if and when it gives up before the leather does. Also the claw can be removed this way so holster can ve used as a regular iwb. I tryed to add as much versatility as i could. Heres a pic before dying the outside with the clip and claw removed.

20211103_131215.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.  Now I have another question.  I normally dye all my pieces before gluing / stitching.  Do you dip dye yours?  Why do you elect to dye after assembly?

It all depends on the project im working on. If im doing wet molded holsters and there darker colors with matching thread like black on black or brown on brown i usually do full assembly and stitching. Then i wet mold and dye after drying. Now if i am using a light colored contrasting thread then of course all dying and everything has to be done before sewing. I get a better finish if i wet mold before dying even with fiebings pro dye i seem to allways get some distortion or discoloration if i dye before wet molding.  

1 minute ago, HandyDave said:

It all depends on the project im working on. If im doing wet molded holsters and there darker colors with matching thread like black on black or brown on brown i usually do full assembly and stitching. Then i wet mold and dye after drying. Now if i am using a light colored contrasting thread then of course all dying and everything has to be done before sewing. I get a better finish if i wet mold before dying even with fiebings pro dye i seem to allways get some distortion or discoloration if i dye before wet molding.  

Thanks.  How do you dye your project after wet molding?  dauber? dip?

Again it depends on project and effect im tryin to achieve. But if im doing just straight colors speacially with the all black i dip dye finished piece to give me a better full dark black finish. But if im trying to get a 2 tone or speacial effect finish i use daubers and sponges. I guess every individual project has its on way i get the best results with finish.

Looks great. I've been wanting to make one with a long claw like that. 

19 minutes ago, Viles said:

Looks great. I've been wanting to make one with a long claw like that. 

Holstersmith.com is where i found that claw at while i was getting a glock 43 prop gun. And it is aluminum claw where as most are some form of plastic. I myself have to much around the mid section to consider appendix carry. But customer is over the top happy with it.