James Roberts

Feed Wheels for Skivers

Hey all,

I f'd the feed wheel on my (801 copy) skiver and was looking at replacements and it seems there are multiple options. For example;

• emery stone
  • rubber (with brass or steel bushings)
  • knurled steel

I currently have an emery stone wheel which has worked fine for years, but am interested in what the differences are between the other alternative options?

I am a bootmaker and skive on relatively short lengths but almost always with curves on the pieces. I mostly use this machine to skive ~2.2mm combination tan leather.

Let me know your thoughts on what works best for you!

Cheers, 

James

PS: image is a for example purposes only

download.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 6:24 PM, keithski122 said:

I do auto upholstery and use the rubber feed wheel as it stopped the problem of waste leather being pulled back over the top of the feed wheel and spoiling the leather.

Having just bought a used machine I've been researching a lot and apparently the stones with more grip are more likely to grab the waste. Mine has the neoprene (yellow) one that's been abused and I will replace it but for now I took some emery paper to it in order to even it out and it seems to be working well.

I had the milled steel wheel and it fed heavy veg tan well.