Big K

Adding Conchos

Hope I can explain this so it makes sense. I'm making a guitar strap for a friend. I make them from veg tan belly that I get from Tandy, then glue and stitch 2-3 oz as a liner (flesh side out). This has worked well for me in the past. On this one, however, along with lots of basket weave I'm adding (3) 1.25" slotted conchos tied with bleed knots (I'm using strips of dyed 2-3 oz for the ties). My question is: would it be better to tie the conchos on BEFORE I add the lining (and hiding the ties) or after, letting the ties go through the liner. The strap and ties will be dyed black and sealed and I don't plan on dying the lining to protect against possible dye transfer. I'll be airbrushing a couple coats of gloss water based Varathane as a sealer (could also use Resolene but have found the Varathane works pretty well).

I'm thinking it may not really make a difference but don't want to take a chance on the dye from the ties rubbing off on clothing.

Thanks!!

I think you know the answer. You've already set out your points. Put the ties on first, then the lining. Can you put the ties on without the conchos? then after the lining is on tie up the conchos

21 minutes ago, Big K said:

Hope I can explain this so it makes sense. I'm making a guitar strap for a friend. I make them from veg tan belly that I get from Tandy, then glue and stitch 2-3 oz as a liner (flesh side out). This has worked well for me in the past. On this one, however, along with lots of basket weave I'm adding (3) 1.25" slotted conchos tied with bleed knots (I'm using strips of dyed 2-3 oz for the ties). My question is: would it be better to tie the conchos on BEFORE I add the lining (and hiding the ties) or after, letting the ties go through the liner. The strap and ties will be dyed black and sealed and I don't plan on dying the lining to protect against possible dye transfer. I'll be airbrushing a couple coats of gloss water based Varathane as a sealer (could also use Resolene but have found the Varathane works pretty well).

I'm thinking it may not really make a difference but don't want to take a chance on the dye from the ties rubbing off on clothing.

Thanks!!

it would look better if the ties were covered IMO. If they get torn off it will be harder to repair but a guitar strap isn't meant for abuse so shouldn't matter a lot and if you do have to replace one then it will be uncovered. Actually if you break a tie you can still fish it through the existing slots  if you don't glue them in.

Edited by chuck123wapati

I'm of the same opinion as Fred and Chuck. Yeah, you already got this, This way, there's a liner and NO bleed at all ,and as stated the ties could be changed without too much difficulty if ever needed. Super clean and neat ! Or you might even put the concho's on its own strip and attach ?                            Still NO bleed.  Hope i've been of some contributing help ?